Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

e90 change to non-runflats?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by shyammichael, Jul 15, 2013.

shyammichael

Has anyone changed their e90 to non-runflats? I've read on posts its a smoother ride, I was thinking b/c I have a set of non-run flats that I could use? I know my car doesn't have a jack or space for a spare, so not sure what options I have? Any insight would be helpful.

mrsbee guest

Gulp. You might have just kicked a wasps nest. We are all very diverse and passionate about our positions on run-flats.

Personally that was the first thing from the dealership to go on my One Series. The ride with them was a bit lifeless and reminded me of driving on tires the Flintstones would have used. Now, there have been times that perhaps I've taken the One into less than urban conditions that may or may not include construction debris that would leave me up the poo creek without a paddle if I would have picked up an unwanted souvenir. I don't think about it though, I'm a devout fan of my Conti DWS tires and am a firm believer in them.

On the run flat defense front, (should be a club), there are some major pluses about them, especially if you happen to encounter conditions like I mentioned earlier. There are some people that cannot tell a difference in the ride, and perhaps your car would be one of those. Buuuutttt...it's a big maybe. It also depends on the roads you're more apt to drive on, interstate, urban, dirt, track, all of those are going to make an impact.

shyammichael

Thanks, so without the run-flats are you keeping a spare in your trunk?

mrsbee guest

Nope, just a horse shoe in a strategic place.

shyammichael

ha ok not too helpful.....just trying to figure out what people that switch from run-flats keep in case of flats

MGarrison

Well, there's the M-Mobility kit, but I think I've read something about slime/foam inflators also killing the tire pressure monitors. Sometime in the last year I saw something, I think in Grassroots Motorsports magazine, about some company offering tire-pressure-monitor-safe foam.

A space saver spare kit is the most practical option, but it will cost you trunk space -

I believe the Bavauto bag has sewn loops to allow you to strap it down to the tie-down spots in the trunk, which I think is a very good idea, in case of accident.

Bavauto doesn't show the molded tray, which is nice for retaining stuff in place, you'd have to ask if those are available or not. Bimmerzone doesn't seem to sell the bag that allows you to tie it down in the trunk. I've read someplace about suggesting getting a small scissor jack instead of the BMW oem jack, thought there may have been something about an X3 jack. Obviously, some jack is needed.

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=E90 SPARE KIT&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googlebase&utm_source=E90 SPARE KIT&gclid=COzV8KeksrgCFeFAMgodOQMA6Q

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Performance_Spare_Tire/BIM-SST-E90-KIT.html

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=71 10 6 773 536&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googlebase&utm_source=71 10 6 773 536&gclid=CNHd9o6ssrgCFYhAMgodEDAAdA

They have a variety, to fit E92 M3's, etc. - search for your specific application.

Other info (you may wish to search further about the jack failures mentioned, and inquire about that issue from either both or either of the above sellers)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664250

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650262

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351023

http://www.bmwcca.org/forum/index.php?threads/ultimate-solution-for-e90-compact-spare.5018/

Oh - if I recall, prior searching showed in Germany, the mini-spare is a Continental tire - I think these aftermarket tires may be "Kenda". I think it may be a bit of a challenge to source an oem BMW mini-spare rim w/ a Conti on it. It's splitting hairs though, as long as it works to get through the emergency to get the flat fixed.

Oh ya, here it is - if this is what's from Germany w/ the Conti mini-spare, this looks like da bomb to me -

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-328i-N52_3.0l/ES2535349/

charlson89

If you have TPM sensors the M mobility kit will ruin them. Like Mrs Bee's said just keep a horse shoe with you haha. Yes the ride quality is much different and the tires last longer.

shyammichael

Thanks for all the help everyone....finally just decided to get another set of RFTs, seems too much to keep in the trunk :) and haven't minded the feel and durability of my RFTs.
    mrsbee likes this.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Just drove the 4 Series on runflats. This generation is much improved... but you cannot change some people's minds. Party A will never have RFs on her 2007 335i because they were harsh and "skippy."

Of course, I have never had runflats on the roadster, but it has a can of goo and a compressor. I prefer to fix holes when can; I use a Dynaplug kit and a new mushroom-plug gun.

Oh, and Triple A or the equivalent.
    BrianMc likes this.

bobgto guest

I like how the runflats handle, but I'm getting road noise out of them, I hear that is common on them.I was thinking about switching to non runflats,but it sounds like to much trouble.

Holy Sh"" ! I just checked the price of those run flat tires!! Does anybody have any suggestions on a non runflat tire that performs well? Or should I go with a runflat summer tire?

charlson89

What car do you have? Yes they are pricy but remember you don't have a spare so they can save you in a pinch and possible damage from bubba the tow truck driver.

bobgto guest

I have a 08 335i 6 speed. If I went with non runflats I was planning on getting a spare of some type. And I know what you are saying about bubba tow truck driver. I got rid of a car for my mom that had right front wheel damage and the tow truck driver could not get it on the flat bed right,so he pulled out a knife and punched the left front tire that was like new to get to pull up straight. And before that he was throwing the toe hook around on the hood and the hood was in good shape.But he owned by then anyway.

charlson89

The ride quality will improve a lot from the switch to non run flats but do get a full size spare no dough nut spares. Sorry to hear about that experience.

bobgto guest

Will I lose a lot of performance (handling) when I go with non-runflat tires?

MGarrison

Depends on what tires you choose, and their performance characteristics. Sidewalls on rft's are beefy, so they tend to deliver pretty immediate turn-in response (but, also pass more road bumps through, etc), so that may be one trade-off. Tread compound /rating and design can be other factors - seems like some BMW oem rft's are pretty sticky with a low treadwear rating; great grip & particularly dry traction, handling, but, with just a bit over racing-compound treadwear rating of 140, are used up by 20K miles. Tire choice can typically come down to which set of compromises you want, or works. Peruse & compare options on Tirerack.com, and if you're unsure what to decide on, give 'em a call and they'll help you come up with what's best for your car, driving conditions, intended usage, driving style, etc.

But, with no spare, unless you tote what you need, keep in mind there may be a chance you find yourself stuck & cussing' roadside that you might still be rollin' along (albeit at no more than 50mph) had you opted for the rft's. Runflats still don't mean you can't get caught-out, they can also suffer enough failure that they'd leave you rolling on a rim - but, hopefully, that's unlikely in most cases.

Yangorang

I got the stock tires on my E90 328xi changed to the Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position RFTs at a local Discount Tire for $769.45 for all 4. They're a pretty good option if you still like the RFT capabilities and steering feel ; they're a lot better than the stock tires as well in terms of road noise / ride quality, and also have a 45K warranty.

rmwegmann

Have a 2009 128i convertible, is that an E90? Never can figure out the E stuff.

Anyway, last week decided to ditch the run flats and buy a nice set or Michelins (non run flats). Presently driving without a spare or "repair a flat" canister. Was thinking about a donut spare, but concerned about limited height between body and road . .and having the front of the car hit the road with the donut spare. However, if I go with donut spare I have to get a jack, there is NO jack in the car. Then what kind of a jack for the 128 since it came with no spare. . .But if I use repair a flat canister it evidently messes up the TPM . . . Geeez, maybe I'll just trade the car in and get a Ford . . . what a pain!

Anyway, thoughts would be appreciated.

Rick

rmwegmann

I just bought a set of Michelins MXM4 for about $760 on sale at Sam's Club last week. So far, they are absolutely great, it's like driving a new car. Although one of my run flats was showing cords, so I guess it was about time . . . :)

MGarrison

I got this & keep the spare in the trunk on my E92 ('11 335is coupe); the tool kit/jack package, somewhat loosely wrapped in its provided bag, can fit in the plastic storage cubby under the trunk floor, so that is out of the way & not taking up additional trunk space; not sure if the cubby space on your car is similar to mine. I decided not to use the storage bag for the spare, instead opting to lock the spare down running 3 small ratchet straps across the tire using the trunk tie-down points. With that, the tire is really locked down & won't move, at all. I couldn't get it tightened down as much as I wanted using the storage bag with its straps, the tire could slide around some, but I suspect most will find the bag setup just fine. Peace-of-mind, & trunk still usable, although obviously losing trunk space to the spare - with the smaller 1'er trunk & less trunk space due to the convertible top mechanism, you'd have to decide if going this route works for you.

I think the spare should be sized to be close to stock rolling diameter, I doubt road clearance for the brief period of time using the spare should be a problem, but an email to find out the spare tire size would clear that up.

The kit from ECS:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E88-128i-N52_3.0L/Search/SiteSearch/Spare_Tire_Kit/ES2535349/

There's another option from bimmerzone -

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Performance_Spare_Tire/BIM-SST-E82E88-KIT.html

About $100 less than the ECS kit, but a steel spare wheel instead of the alloy, and uses the oem BMW jack instead of the scissor jack (my opinion, but I feel the scissor jack is preferable). Has a tire tote cover if desired; in comparison, the ECS kit's wheel-chock is collapsible (takes less space, but, not as beefy as the oe non-collapsible chock), has the storage bag w/ straps, a pair of gloves to keep your hands clean handling a dirty wheel/tire, & also a nylon bag/cover for the regular wheel/tire.

If the ECS tire is the same Conti as in the Bimmerzone kit (125/80-17), that's the same diameter as a stock 205/55-16, so clearance shouldn't be an issue - would just need to confirm the ECS size.

I used the 2nd tab, tire-size comparison, here: http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/

Your other option is an inflator kit - the stock BMW one comes w/ an air compressor & a can of tire sealant. One downside to those is the sealant reportedly kills the tpms sensor in the stock wheel, so, even if the problem is a puncture that the goo seals well enough for you to get further down the road, you're still on the hook for a new sensor. At least non-runflats can be patched if it's not sidewall damage. Perhaps also consider a tire-plug kit. Hopefully you're someplace where the roads aren't a total disaster, especially if you have low-profile tires & their increased chance of damage from potholes, etc.

shyammichael

I put on the Michelin Primacy MXM4 RF and they are great. Got about 10k on them and very smooth and quiet ride a definate improvement over my stock Contis and significantly less expensive.