Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Someone put a MINI on the cover of my June Roundel....

Discussion in 'Roundel Magazine' started by thejonross, Jun 6, 2013.

1LRM3

I am just trying to learn and appreciate all BMWs, though my knowledge and primary interest is in M. However, I do know that the Isetta was of Italian design and built in Europe- building over 160K cars in 10 years which was darn good for those days after WWII. If one thinks about Germany, it was pretty much destroyed, people were destitute- unemployment, hunger, political leftists, etc.... so if that is what you refer to by saving BMW with the Isetta, I understand.

BMWCCA1

Pretty much the Isetta was the cause of the near-demise of BMW in the '50s, along with the Baroque Angel 500-series cars. It's an involved story over several years but let's cut to the pivotal moment: Think back now to that fateful annual meeting of 1959 at which time it was determined that BMW had to be dissolved and was fated to become a body plant for Mercedes Benz. The books had been cooked showing all the expenses for the upcoming 700 series to be taken in one year. Several representatives questioned the financial report and, the story goes, showed the 700 to Herbert Quandt who at the time was nearly blind. He studied the car, touching it with his hands, and then decided increase his BMW holdings and present another recovery plan including financial support from Quandt and the German government to continue the 700 production. The 700 was intended as a stop-gap measure to gain some time for development of the Neu Range vehicles, but it did so in fine style. (And don't trust much of the on-line history such as Wikipedia which in its 700 history credits Harrald Quandt, Herbert's half-brother, with saving BMW. Harrald's main claim to fame was the Amphicar.) There is, of course, much more to the story.

But don't take my word for it: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pres...lId=6&id=T0022634EN&left_menu_item=node__2385

While that's a corporate sanitized version, I'd suggest the Horst Monnich book "The BMW Story" for the real nitty gritty.

1LRM3

wow... thanks for the info... I never knew that. A lot of tales to this bubble. I think at some point a refreshed story should be in print clarifying all. There seems to be many variations on the theme :) But nevertheless, it is interesting. I am going to check out that book. Thank you.

ttribe

Back to the OP - I must admit, I feel an overwhelming desire to roll my eyes and gag a little when I see a Mini on the cover of Roundel. It's one thing to have a story somewhere in the issue, given Mini is part of the BMW family of companies, but the cover is just too prominent. Now, a Rolls on the other hand....

On the flip-side, this month's cover with the M6 Gran Coupe makes me feel an overwhelming desire to mortgage everything I own to go buy one.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Yeah, that cover was meant to balance May...
    ttribe likes this.