Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Transmission Issue?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by johndeangelo, Jun 30, 2013.

johndeangelo

I have an 08 328i w/ GA6L45R auto trans., once I hit hit 100K (the BMW service recommendation) I was afraid of opening a can of worms if I replaced the fluid. I now have 173K on the odo. Once in a while it seems to stumble when coasting to a stop and stepping quickly on the gas(very intermittant). After some reading on other forums I'm getting very concerned. I would like to hear any and all opions on this matter.
    Thanks

charlson89

With any transmission issue make sure your fluid level is full and fluid condition does not have metal in it and smells burnt. The other is you will need to clear transmission adaptations and see if the issue goes away or becomes more apparent. The last thing would be to update the transmission software to the newest level.

johndeangelo

Thanks for the prompt reply. Just to be clear, check and add fluid if necessary, not replace or flush unless apparent metal or burt smell. My indy wanted no part of changing fluid at 120K. He can clear adaptations and upgrade.

charlson89

Yes at your current mileage It would be unwise to flush the fluid. Basically after 100k is the point of no return but BMW does say it is lifetime fluid. If your fluid is burnt or has metal in it then you need to do a trans rebuild a flush will not help will probably make things worse. If the fluid is good and full then clear the adaptations and see if the issue gets better or if it gets worse. If it gets worse then you can try a software update and clear the adaptations agian if the problem still returns as bad as before then you most likely have a hardware issues with the trans.

johndeangelo

Appreciate the advice.

Tennis Dad

how does one clear the adaptations on the '08 X3 transmission?

charlson89

You will need a scan tool capable of going into the transmission module and clearing them.