Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

e36 Door locks/windows not working

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by 00BMW323CI, May 11, 2008.

00BMW323CI guest

My 92 318i 4 door, the locks and windows have stopped working all together. i can still manualy lock the doors but the windows will not go down. being it is getting warmer in upstate ny w/ a black interior im starting to cook in my car. any ideas?

mjweimer

First step is to check all of the fuses related to the power locks and windows.

I do not recall if the E36 owners manual specifically calls out the fuse locations for each function but a Bentley manual does and should be helpful.

Matt

00BMW323CI guest

i checked all the fuses and they all seem to be working. when it first started the lock wouldn't work once or twice and then it was fine, but now it does not work at all.

Bimmerdan

Are you able to raise/lower the windows from the individual window switch on each door or is it just the center console switches that aren't working? Also, do the doors lock when you try it from the passenger side or trunk (did the '92 have central locking?)?

00BMW323CI guest

none of the windows work on the seperate switch either. i tried locking from the passager side to see if the power locks work from that side too, but i had no luck with that either. i do believe it has a central locking system but im not sure how that all works. i looked behind the glove box but it didn't look like there was much there. maybe i just didn't know what i was looking for?

Bimmerdan

My best guess would be that it's the door lock assembly in the driver's door. If it's like my E36, you can lock the door and roll up all the windows by leaving the key turned all the way to the lock position for a few seconds. That means the power for the windows must run through that lock assembly so if it's shot, I could see how it would effect all the windows.

Just a guess/hunch/shot-in-the-dark...

00BMW323CI guest

i checked the lock switch i believe, now that nothing is working, if the driver door lock switch wasn't working would the passanger side lock work? it looks like both sides are the same? i think i have checked the switches and they all seem to have resistance. both front door locks don't seem to be getting power. but the main wire harness going into the window motor has power. any ideas?