Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Android App for the Roundel is quite disappointing.

Discussion in 'Roundel Magazine' started by amazzare, Jun 18, 2013.

amazzare

Android App for the Roundel is quite disappointing. The sluggish performance of the app with only one magazine download was bad enough. Then I discovered that the application is unable to use the 20GB+ of available shared storage in my tablet, instead consuming a much smaller pool of internal storage, so I really can't download more than one or two issues anyway.
    • Staff

executive director

We discovered the problem ourselves yesterday and have alerted the provider.

Thanks
    Frank
    mrsbee likes this.

elliottsb BMW CCA Director of IT

What Android device are you using?

ttribe

Is there a link to the app? When I searched the PlayStore for a Roundel app over the weekend I received a "No Matches" message.
    • Staff

steven s

ttribe likes this.

ttribe

• Staff

steven s

It's only for tablets. I have it on my Nexus7

mattm

Good thing no one uses a smart phone. :(
    • Staff

steven s

With a 5" screen at most?
    Honestly, what kind of experience is it to scroll all around on a tiny screen?
    And the reality is many more people use iOS than Android.
    Not me, but then again I've always gone against the mainstream.

mattm

I pull websites, NOAA radar, and other cool junk from my Droid 2 (okay I'm fully geeky in that it is a Droid R2D2). Surveys/studies show smartphone usage is way up. That's why sites have mobile versions "m.bmwcca.org" i.e. the "m." in front of a regular domain. It's a redirect to users using a smartphone. I'm not jumping to tablet anytime soon so I am sure I could be the exception. :)
    • Staff

steven s

I don't dispute smartphones are up.
    I started off with an Original Droid the day they were released.
    Drove it into the ground until I picked up a Samsung S3.
    I've even used the S3 to log into our network to look up memberships. Not the most ideal way, but it works.
    Technology comes at a cost.

mattm

I tried the Samsung G3 last August after my Droid R2D2 was stolen. Battery life was unacceptable on the SG3. Returned it at 14 days and eBay'ed another Droid R2D2. Good battery life even though it's on a 3G network. There were some very cool elements on the Samsung (courtesy of the OS and apps), but the short battery life was a deal breaker. I know the Droid won't last forever, but I'll try.
    Okay we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread after this brief hijacking. :)

Satch SoSoCalifortified

If I had my way, you babies would all have to read the @#$!ing magazine ON PAPER...
    kgmoodyz3 likes this.

mda185

I suggest that someone in a position to improve the Roundel digital app look at how Pocket Mags in the UK provides digital copies of Total BMW magazine. User interface is good even on older Android devices, I can download as many issues as my tablet memory allows and it is fast once the magazine is downloaded. It is the best implementation of a digital magazine I have seen to date.

mrsbee guest

michaelbird

Steven,

Things have changed since you wrote this last year. Results vary, but my research shows that Android is up to or has surpassed iOS in the USA and has more than double the market share world-wide.

Regards,
    Michael
    steven s likes this.

bcweir

iOS larger market share than Android?? You're not just "off by a little" - you're WAY off.

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp
    Android IOS Windows Blackberry Others

Q2 2014 84.7% 11.7% 2.5% 0.5%
    0.7%

Source: IDC http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

At any rate, the Roundel App wouldn't work on my LG LG35. But with a mere 300 Mb of available RAM, I figured it was a spec issue. But I am now running a LG70 with 1.5 Gb of RAM and a 4.5 inch screen, and it is STILL "not compatible with the app!"

Granted, a 4.5 inch screen isn't exactly an IMAX or even an tablet experience, but's still way better than the 3.5 inch screen I had previously.

I'm surprised that Roundel is satisfying itself with the relatively tiny Android tablet audience compared with smartphones. But amazingly, your App won't even let me TRY it, despite claiming to be "Android" compatible.
    • Staff

steven s

iPhone users don't believe in statistics. :)
    I've been an R2D2 user since the Original Droid launched on October 17, 2009.