Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2007 550i SMG II Paddle Shifter Sensor

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by 463956, Feb 4, 2013.

I have a 2007 550i with the SMGII transmission. The paddle shifters suddenly stopped working or only work intermittently (@ 41,000 miles). The center console shifter works fine. I understand that the sensor/switch covers can shift or that the sensor/switch may even need to be replaced (wouldn’t have expected this with such low mileage). Of course, it may be a programming problem. I am trying to decide whether or not to DIY, take it to an independent or back the dealer. I really don’t want to mess with the air bag in the steering wheel or end up having to take it to the dealer to correct some issue that I may have caused by DIY. Have any of you had this experience? Any recommendations for an independent BMW specialty shop in Long Beach, CA?

Thanks,

Ed Stringham

SOLUTION TO THIS THREAD - After diligently looking for an independent garage, I took my 2007 550i with the SMG paddle shifter problem into the dealer. It turned out to be faulty paddle shifters which were replaced to the tune of $886.84. Both, the right and the left, failed at the same time even though I use the right shifter the majority of the time. I called BMWA to see if they could assist as I felt that this was an extremely premature failure. They "understood" but reminded me that my car was out of warranty and that there was nothing that they could do.

Ed Stringham

MGarrison

Sorry you didn't get any replies to be of any help here sooner, obviously we haven't had anyone here have the same issue - hopefully the next set will last a lot longer! Particularly on recent vintage cars, sometimes the dealer may be the only option.

Thanks for the update, not much consolation that perhaps it could have been worse.

Mr.Garrison. Just checked this thread and saw your REPLY. Thanks for taking the time to do so. This was another lesson relating to having a "non-standard" option on a BMW. The two independent shops that I visited advised me that they do not see this set-up enough to invest in the diagnostic equipment and that the dealer was my only option.