Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Code Readers (OBD2 etc.)

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by rich235, Aug 29, 2011.

rich235 guest

I have a 2003 325i and a Ford F150. I'm looking for a suitable reader for the codes and wonder what might be best for both vehicles. I'm looking at the Creader VI on Bavarian Auto among many others. There are many out there to choose from, does anyone have any experience with the Creader V or VI?

Thanks

bergman

GoPoint Technology offers reasonably priced readers that work with iPhone and iPad.

camueller

That GoPoint app has some pretty iffy reviews. Seems like they could improve their iOS apps quite a bit. That's a shame because I was sold for a minute or two.

sydro2013

I recently purchased a code reader from BAVARIAN AUTOSPORT. It is the combo unit, it can do 87-07 I believe. I used it on my 02 330xi and my 96 328i and it worked like a charm.
    Now my problem is where do I go with all the codes that came up on the 328? Does anyone know where you can find how and where to proceed to fix problems without just replacing every part that a code mentions?
    Any help or direction from someone who has been here and done that would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    • Staff

steven s

The Peake was good in it's day. Now it's just good for resetting CEL and SI lights.

I'm now using an app for my Android using scan link's BT interface.
    It helped me diagnose which 02 sensor was bad and what was wrong with my Mini without buying another Peake. Couldn't do that with the Peake.

Back to your question.
    I'd suggest starting a new thread in the model specific forum with the codes it is throwing.
    Then google is your friend.

charlson89

Really it all depends on what you wanna do with your code reader. Do you want it to give you lists of pids, freeze frame data, data logger. Or do you need one just to reset OBD codes. Because a ford network system is worlds different from a BMW but they both have something called Global OBD2 which is basically a government mandated communication platform for vehicles from 96 on. Basically meaning that any scan tool hooked to the OBD port can read emission related fault codes. This of course does not mean you getting all the codes the vehicle has in it such as ones in the body modules, trans module (getting more common for the aftermarket to get into it), traction control/ABS module and so on. For a basic OBD fault code reader I personally use the KIWI made by plx devices. This is a OBD to bluetooth connection device that allows any bluetooth cable device to communicate to the car with the proper software. There is tons of free software out there to use as well I personally use my iphone with an app called fuzzy car. This software reads fault codes and clears them and also gives you data streaming for free this app is pretty good. Good luck with the search let us know if you have any other questions.

chicane

I would strongly suggest AutoEnginuity (http://www.autoenginuity.com/), I have used this for years and it is fantastic. It cost more than a standard OBDCII reader but it does a lot more as well. You can purchase OEM capabilities ON TOP of the standard OBDCII operations for what ever vehicles you have. You can, for instance, with BMW do things like reset the ABS and Air Bag lights (things that you would have to go to the dealer for). And you can test all sorts of components and sensors in real time. I would strongly urge any BMW ower (although they handle most all major OEMs) to go to their website, read their features and consider their product.