Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Turanza or ContiPro

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by chamila, Apr 24, 2013.

chamila

I'm sorry if you guys have already discussed this before. A quick search didn't find an answer for me. It's time for me to change my tires now and I'm in a dilemma whether to select Turanza or ContiPro. I currently have Turanza and I've done 48k + and surely I can go beyond 50k. A couple of dealers recommended me Continentals and but I've already heard bad things about that as well. Would be great if anyone of you can share your experience.
    Thanks!

mrsbee guest

From personal experience, I absolutely swear by my Contis. They've saved my butt on numerous occasions, but really it boils down to what your primary need for your tires are. You'll save a bit of money going with the Bridgestones, but at this point, I wouldn't be pinching pennies on a just cause a tire is a bit cheaper. Disclaimer, I've been running on Conti's for almost four years now and haven't had one single complaint EXCEPT they can be a little noisy going around twisty bits. Keep all four in proper forward motion and you probably won't experience this.

If you want another option, a friend of mine and I have arguments over tire quite frequently. He swears up and down his Michelin Pilot Super Sports are far superior - if you're okay with just having a summer tire. I'm not sure where you're from, but if it's not Florida or perhaps So. Cal, you might look towards something a little more versatile and year round.

chamila

thanks for the reply. I'm in DC - so have to drive in snow time to time. So I'd prefer having a decent all season tires.
    In fact Turanzas are expensive than ContriPros

mrsbee guest

Well, gee, what else do you need? I can twist arms if need be...but the DWS "Continental ContiSportContact" is really the way to go. My brother in law is up in DC and cough, cough, has an Audi, but he was the one that turned us onto them in the first place. Albeit he deals with more severe weather than we do down here, but he has a very sophisticated palate when it comes down to decisions.

If you don't trust me, trust another total stranger that a total stranger swears by :)

charlson89

completely second MrsBee on those DWS those tires are awesome. Here in Nebraska with the wonderful cold weather and snow we get:rolleyes: I always up sell those to my customers and have them on my personal vehicles. They are more expensive then the procontacts but are a better tire for sure.

dmmai

I guess you could say I'm a fan of the Continentals.

We've run all-season Bridgestones on two E90s and an F25. The early run-flats were worse than terrible. Replaced them at 10,000 miles with Conti's that were immensely better. The 2nd gen. Bridgestone run-flats were better ... not great, but better. Replaced them with Conti's that were much better. We have the latest Bridgestone run-flats on the X3. With 33,000 miles, they still have half-tread and are doing quite well for us (but we are talking about an SUV). We have Michelin all-seasons on another SUV.

Got around 45,000 enjoyable miles out of the original all-season Continentals on my 540i Sport. Recently removed Yokohama Advan S.4s from the 540 and replaced with Conti ExtremeContact DWS. The difference is LARGE. Much better in every way. Comparing the Bridgestones on the X3 with the 540 is a stretch but, I like the Conti's a lot better. They certainly aren't track tires but, for all-season skins, dry grip is impressive. Cheap? ... No. As expensive as Michelins? ... Not even close.

I enjoy Kumho all-seasons on the E30 ... but ... with a set of mounted Star Specs for "fun" times.

If you're looking for something more sporty (summer tires), there are several good choices. I like Dunlop, Kumho, Hankook for all-out performance and ?value?. The big three also play in that arena.

mrglock

Conti's!!!!! No question.
    mrsbee likes this.