Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Starting problem

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by bluewagon, Apr 30, 2013.

bluewagon

For about two weeks I had been having starting problems. 2003 325it 122000 miles
    Would turn the key and nothing would happen for as many as 4 turns then it would start.
    Brought to my service tech. He thought it was the starter. It was changed. Today the same problem
    happened. I then turned my key around the car started. It ends up as a worn out Key
    Just something else to think about if any one else has the same problem. Using second Key. I will be credited for starter cost.
    Can these keys be repaired ????? Can you buy a new one?? Cost???
    bluewagon

charlson89

Yes you can purchase new keys from a BMW dealer with proper paperwork. You will just have to intalize the new key for the keyless entry features. As far as repairing the key for your issue afraid not. Cost for a key is around 150 bucks.

bluewagon

Price of $150 is wishful thinking. Actual $213.55 From Sarasota Florida Dealer.
    What do dealers in other parts of USA charge??
    bluewagon

charlson89

Really mine here in the omaha NE charged me 150 for a new key. Is that price including them initializing the new key?

bluewagon

Yes to initializing. When did you pay $150.00??
    bluewagon

charlson89

About two months ago but I initialized the key myself.