Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

new guy with a question - M Roadster

Discussion in 'E85/E86 Z4 M roadster/coupe (2006-2008)' started by JDUBS, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

JDUBS guest

Had 1200 mile svc at dealer yesterday on 07 M Roadster. On highway tonight at 80 mph, heard a whine from rear, then a thump, then lost about 20+ mph; pulled immediately to break-down lane; lots of blue smoke came from the rear-end when I stopped; I assumed I had a flat. Instead, after flat-bed arrived to tow, realized that all tires were fine but rear wheels were frozen and would not turn. Had to drag it up onto flat-bed even though in neutral, with engine running, with clutch fully pressed. any thoughts?

330indy1

something wrong with the LSD?

JDUBS guest

turns out that the dealer did not completely re-fill the differential fluid after they drained it the day before. at least they were honest about it. unfortunately, I will be without the car for a while now but at least no one was hurt. thanks for replying.

MVF4rider guest

I dread returning to the States and having my car worked on. Once you get used to German BMW technicians, nothing else compares. Everything is exact.

But at least we know how fast the rear diff goes kaput if the oil level isn't right. Would have been a good time to do that rearend gear change!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.