Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Autocross (was: Ofest Suggestions)

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2013' started by gvcmel, Feb 2, 2013.

octavioa

So, questions is, what's the classing within all these M cars ??. I'm assuming they're not going to be put in the same class, correct ?
    • Staff

steven s

octavioa

Smed330

Welcome to your first O'Fest octavioa! We are a competetive bunch, but in a fun way. Nice to see there will be another 1M this year. We only had three at the autocross last year, but had all the colors covered.

mattm

Looking at the classing chart my 1996, E36 318i sedan on Hoosiers would bump to "2C?"
    My 1M Coupe on Hoosier Racing tires would bump to "5B?" Both cars have aftermarket shocks and a larger front sway bar, and all wheels are OEM size except for ¼" offset.
    Do I have that correctly?

Throwing winners' names into a hat to award tires isn't a great idea.

I'm sorry if the newer people are offended the some of us buy Hoosiers because they are fun to compete on and remarkable place us at the top of the competition. Not everyone can be winners. Autocross ain't T-ball. :)
    kgmoodyz3 likes this.

Smed330

Matt,
    Since the 1M is in 5A to start, there is nowhere to go. It is already in the highest group. Stock or modified is the same. That is the unfortunate part of this classing. In stock form, it is absolutely not up to beating the well sorted E36 or E46 in 5A. I know that it is definitely slower than the 330 I have been driving for the last 11 years in 3B. That said, it is a bunch of fun, even in stock form and that is why I decided to not modify it at all. It might do better this year if the course is longer than 26 to 29 seconds. My wife is also a big proponent of not bringing the tires anymore. Way more comfortable for the trips.

mattm

Boy that chart and description is tough to follow. I beg to differ on the 1M being an also ran. Having owned a 330i with ZHP the 1M would mop it up at an autocross. I'm inclined to think it is still a fair match for the E46 M3 and would walk on the E36 M3.

I guess the 318i would bump to 2B because of the Hoosiers.

FWIW, I have four Hoosiers (315/35-19 and 265/35-19) and two unmounted rims in the back of the 1M. I'm heading to Hooser Tire East to get fresh rubber for the SCCA New Jersey Pro Solo at the Meadowlands this weekend. Last year I had those four tires plus an additional two 295/35-19 in the car (okay it was a little tight). :) My competition will be six C5 Vettes (non-Z06), a '12 Mustang GT (very well driven car), and a '07 Porsche Cayman S.

Smed330

I won't deny that a well set up 1M can be a force. I was talking about my experience based on last years sub 30 second first gear course in a totally stock 1M vs my Hoosiered 330 from previous years. Not much stick and could only get boost in a couple of places where it was not wanted. Using my timing reference of Russ Wiles, on a 60 second course, I am usually about 2 seconds or less back in the 330. On that sub 30 second course, I was just a tick more than three back in the stock 1M.

Since O'Fest is my only autocross of the year these days, investing in Hoosiers gets a bit pricey. I used my last set for three years of O'Fest and still have them. They look new with only those 12 runs on them. Maybe I will take them to the track and use them up this year just to get them off the rims.

mattm

My comparisons were based on all cars running Hoosiers.

The 330i would run in SCCA D Stock and was an "also ran" there. It was heavy (okay I can say that about any BMW these days), and the electronic limited slip blew chunks. The competition when I ran it was Integra Type-Rs that walked away from it. It didn't really have a chance.

At least the 1M can hold its own in A Stock. I've been autocrossing for more than 25 years so I'm a bit nuts about it. Russ is a great driver and a terrific benchmark.

I had briefly considered heading to Columbus last year but after I googled the site location I didn't have the energy to drive that far and run a small course. I know the organizers of the autocross were hosed when they had to change venues at the last minute.