Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Nav System Does Not Know Best Routes

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by Drivinghard, Dec 30, 2012.

Drivinghard

The navigation system that came with my 2012 X35i has frequently seemed to suggest bazare routes.
    I cross checked routes with Google Maps and the times following Google's routes are faster than the routes offered by the X3 navigation system (with the fasted route selected in preferances). Has anyone else experienced similar short comings with their system? I have not had a chance to discuss this with my dealer yet, but I am scheduled to go in for the annual checkup in January and will certainly bring it up.
    • Staff

steven s

I don't think the dealer will be able to do anything as long as you have the current maps and OS.
    I question the nav on our 2003 Mini which reminds me now to check what version maps I have it in.

Personally, if it ever comes time to buy a new car, I wouldn't bother with a built-in GPS.
    Not until there are OTA updates for maps and OS. The nav on my phone has the most up-to-date maps.

mrsbee guest

I agree with you, Steven, about not wanting a nav system in a new car. My last car had a huge system built into the dashboard, and although it sounds kind of fussy, I think it took away from the overall sportiness and feel while driving the car.

I have been very pleased running Google maps trough my blue tooth and getting turn by turn instructions that way. I do under the aggravation of buying a car with a feature that didn't work properly. It could be as simple as an upgrade, or that your car is actually possessed and trying to give you cultural experiences.

richstacy

I have noticed the same thing. BMW should have hired Garmin to do the NAV system or just copied Toyota's which is vastly superior in every way, especially with respect to qucik readability of the street names etc on the maps.

charlson89

There is a bulletin out there from BMW about issues with the TELEATLAS navigation maps. It basically states that if there is any missing or incorrect data on you navigation map you should contact them directly and is not a BMW malfunction. Steven your maps might still be old enough to be Navtec which is no longer around and would have to upgrade to the TELEATLAS discs. For those people that have the newer navigation system that doesn't require a disc here is a website to tell them about these issues mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/bmw. Most times if teleatlas can they will rectify your issues with a direct upload to your vehicle without taking your car into the dealer. This of course doesn't work for our people with disc's but the issue would be fixed on the next disc set.

Drivinghard

Hi, thanks for the tip. I tried the TELEATLAS web site, but the website is set up only for someone to report a suggested change at a specific spot from I can tell. I don't have a specific spot where my nav system goes off track. It just seems to pick porer routes than Google maps for example. I was at the dealer a few days ago and he reported that BMW has been getting a lot of flac about the Nav system, but no bulletin has been issued yet. They suspect one is coming out soon.

mrsbee guest

Here I thought flac was an audio format available for download at torrent sites.

Drivinghard

Ah, I am taking flak for my spelling which unfortunely was never my "long suit."
    MrsBee likes this.

mrsbee guest

Trust me, and you don't have to if you don't want to seeing as how you've never met me - I have NO room to give anybody grief about spelling.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

...she's right about that one!

:D
    steven s likes this.

thejonross

Well I suppose this thread kills my interest in retrofitting OEM nav to my 3er. haha.

mrsbee guest

"Retrofit" = Sucking in your gut in order to fit into your 70's leisure suit to go out for a night of Disco dancing.

thejonross

MrsBee: that was priceless, gave me a good chuckle! ...I thought my affinity for disco music was a well guarded secret....along with the size of my gut. Haha!

thejonross

I suppose I could have said, "installing an OEM option by purchasing the necessary climate control relocation kit". "retrofit" was easier to type. :)

Satch SoSoCalifortified

If there were a way to put the new systems in older cars, we could make a fortune. But I think I am stuck with my toss-it-on-the-seat Garmin for the nonce...

Or get Wazer on your iPhone...

thejonross

I have a windows phone, so I use Nokia Drive, does pretty well.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Somehow I don't think I have Nokia Drive on my Motorola! :)
    But Google Maps has saved my butt now and then. Once I used it in Munich to find my way to a restaurant. You do NOT want to pay data roaming charges in Europe! But I did finally locate the place...