Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

15 year member of BMWCCA, but new to this forum.

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by richstacy, Jan 29, 2013.

richstacy

I am a retired prosecutor and have had 7 BMWs now, starting with a '97 2.8 liter Z3. Next was a '99 Boston Green M Roadster followed by an '04 E46 M3 which I had until 2011. All of the forgoing were 5 or 6 spd stick, but in 2011 I replaced the M3 with a 135i with 7spd DCT. I love the car and this fantastic gearbox, but hate the run-flats. We have also had 2 X5s and now own an 2011 X3 35. we love the X3's drivability, but hate the run-flats and we have had a series of serious electronic glitches including a freeze up o f the shifting mechanism that kept it in the shop for (I kid you not) 9 days!!

Has anyone else had a similar experience? BMWs are still the "Ultimate Driving Machine" but I have the very strong impression that they are putting electronics in these cars that are just not ready for prime time.

MGarrison

Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear about the electronic issues, my general take on stuff like that is that it is most unfortunate, and a byproduct of ever-increasing technical complexity. Makes me wish that somewhere along the line, a 'system' would be settled upon, and just refined to perfection. Imagine computers that didn't lock, freeze, bsod, or slow the longer they run... ha, ha, right? ;) Would be nice for cars, wouldn't it?!

richstacy

Yeah, but my computer can't lock or freeze up and leave me stranded 200 miles from the nearest BMW dealership where it would take 9 days to fix it. It's a matter of reliability and confidence. Confidence in the brand that I still want to rely on. But it is trying my patience. I drove my M3 from coast to coast and border to border several times, Not sure I could rely on either of the current cars to do that.

charlson89

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate issue with your vehicle. What exactly is happening with the shifter in the vehicle?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Welcome! And thank you for reinforcing my decision never to buy a car without a manual! I actually considered an E89 Z4 in Oh-My-God Yellow, but the Z435is is available ONLY with the DCT, so I'll pass, thank you.

Nine days? Did it take them that long to diagnose it, or to get a diode from Germany?!

richstacy

Satch, thanks for the welcome. You have me all wrong, or I did not make myself clear, the 9 day problem was on the 8 speed automatic in my wife's X3 35i. It decided to shift itself into park and refused to budge. It required a tow to the dealership. The BMW shop blamed it on the multiple computers in the car and had to install a new "gear selector switch," a part which was not readily available, and have it re- programmed by "BMW" -- a Total of nine days.

The DCT in my 135i, on the other hand is an absolute marvel! I've always shifted for myself, and I'm very good at rapid downshifting in the twisties, but this thing is far, far superior to me, (or to you). It's quite simply the greatest advancement in automotive technology since hydraulic brakes. You are almost instantly and flawlessly in the gear of your choice at every moment. Prior to purchase, I drove a stick , I drove the DCT and back again, couldn't make up my mind. Finally I figured, you only live once and I'm tired of shifting in slow, heavy rush hour traffic. But I did not want an automatic. I wound up getting the DCT and I'm very glad I did. This little 135i is more fun than my M3, and I never thought I'd say that. It's largely due to the DCT -- formula 1 technology for the masses!! There is nothing like it. I never had the old SMG , but I drove a couple of M3s with it, This is head and shoulders above that. I would not hesitate to get the Z435is! The only trouble I've had with the 135i is the abominable run-flat tires wearing out on the rear at 10k. The High performance non run-flat Michelin PS2s on my M3 lasted more than twice as long despite lots of hard driving.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Oops! Sorry about that! I should read more carefully!

I had the chance to drive the E46 M3 CSL with SMG II, back-to-back with two new M3s, the GTS and the M3 CFR, both with the seven-speed M-DTC, and I agree that they were delightful. But I am some sort of a diehard, I guess. Three pedals or somebody else is buying it, not me!

As for run-flats: Go buy what you want!