Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Window Problems

Discussion in 'E81/E82/E87/E88 (2004-present)' started by orville3856, Jun 26, 2012.

orville3856

Has anyone had problems with their passenger side window on the 128i convert.going down halfway once you try to close it? This happened once before (a little over a year ago) and the dealership said it was the regulator and replaced it since it was under warranty. Now it is not under warranty and the dealership says they think it may be the motor and they have to take the door a part to look inside and check it out.

Needless to say they want to charge $240.00 to do this and can't guarantee that will fix the problem. The motor seems to work fine to me. It is doing the same exact thing it did last year when they said it was the regulator. I've had issues with trusting this Service Advisor before and I'm not sure he is not taking me for a "ride".

Anyone else have a similar problem with the window?

Thanks,
    Chuck

rmwegmann

Hi Chuck: Yes, same exact problem. Been doing it for awhile, but I haven't taken it in. Have about 42,000 miles on the car, so i'm thinking the warranty is expired. Anyway, it's a pain, but I just stop the window about an inch before it is completely closed. Then I close it the rest of the way and it seems to work everytime. Anyway, don't have to worry about it now since the Fall and Winter are upon us. Personally, I have trouble with all BMW service advisors in our area . .that's why this is my first and last BMW. Thanks.

charlson89

Your problem won't be fixed by just a window motor. If I remember correctly there is an SIB about the issue your having, it's the anti trap function of the window when it tries to close. The SIB states you need to reprogram the JBE (junction box electronics) and reintialize the windows. Hope this helps.

richstacy

This is an old post but we had this problem , Twice, on an X3 Just another of many examples of electronics in late model BMWs that are nt ready for prime time. They should fix these problems free forever!

charlson89

Was this by chance on the passenger front window on a newer style F25 X3?

smellthebeans

Post the SIB number so the OP can present it to the Service Advisor. Dealer should have gotten this right the first time (unless SIB was published later).

"If I remember correctly there is an SIB about the issue your having, it's the anti trap function of the window when it tries to close. The SIB states you need to reprogram the JBE (junction box electronics) and reintialize the windows. Hope this helps. "

mrsbee guest

You're not alone! I had that same exact problem with my 128i (with a roof) and my smarter half had the same thing happen in his Mini. It was explained to my by the SA that there is a software update that will fix the window woes for a while. He told me that the reason the window wouldn't go up and stay up all the way was due to this tiny thickness of tint that has been applied to the window. Over time this causes the sensors to go "out of operating range". With a plug in at the computer and a fifty dollar copay I was out the door and riding incognito again.

I was however informed that it will happen again, due to the tint.

Whatever you do, don't give up on BMW. it may be aggravating, but at least it's a quirk that doesn't leave you stranded on the side of a dark road.

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Had the same problem with both my 335i convertible & my Z4. Got the same anti-trap explanation, no reason to disbelieve. It is annoying, but not annoying enough to make a special trip in for service. It's always closed correctly on the second try. At least until now. :D

librarian7

Had the regulator replaced on my passenger side rear window last month -- took a week to get the part-- covered under (extended 100K) warranty. Was a very intermittent problem and took the SA a lot of ups and downs to replicate. On the bright side I was driving a 135 M-sport manual trans loaner for a week.