Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New S. Ga Member!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by AfghanVet09, Dec 29, 2012.

AfghanVet09

My name is Kit, recently joined CCA and own a '01 Z3, '05 R1150R... Bought my Beemer after I was wounded in Afghanistan and released from Walter Reed... Best decision I've ever made!

floydarogers

Hope it's warm enough to drive top-down. Thanks for everything you've done; be well.
    AfghanVet09 likes this.

AfghanVet09

Thank you. It's a little cold right now but it'll warm up soon enough...

mrsbee guest

It sure will, and the greatest thing about living here in the gorgeous south is that the weather is constantly throwing you a curve ball! I'm waiting for the next sunny day myself to rip up some mountain roads.... Errr. I mean drive safely down the thoroughfare.

Welcome to the club. I think you'll find that we are indeed an interesting can of mixed nuts - some you'll like more than others. At the end of the day, remember we ARE still in the same can, no matter what.

Thanks for posting!

charlson89

Welcome to the club I like the car and love the bike!

AfghanVet09

Thanks for the warm reception! I've had a lot of fun with the car, but the funniest thing I did was put the top and drive to the Bond theme; needless to say Ga State Patrol wasn't as amused as I was that night.

Where do y'all like to ride?

mrsbee guest

I think we all have little incidents that the "State Patrol" wouldn't approve of. My recent one involved passing a boat going up hill. It still amazes what a pouty lip and a short skirt will get you out of, ah, youth! Although, in my defense the boat DID look like it was going to fall off the trailer and it WAS a day that ended in "Y" so I had all the reason in the world to speed past it going a bit over the posted limit of speed.

The Upstate of South Carolina has some pretty wicked back roads to thrash around on, but my favorite has to be the stretch of 178 that goes across the state line into North Carolina. A must do if you're in the area!

AfghanVet09

If the boat is bigger then your car you should have all rights to get away from it... Was recently in the Greenville / Spartanburg area and found faun road to drive on but ended being lost for a little bit...

Always been jealous that good looking women could always get out of tickets! My Purple Heart tag helps out because usually get a warning then the officer asks where I earned it...

If you ever get a chance to come to Ga, the area around Helen is so much fun to ride especially during Oktoberfest because the town is modeled after a German village...
    MrsBee likes this.

charlson89

To be honest it's kinda depressing living in omaha NE no real place to let her unwind without being spotted by some sort of law. But I do have family on the north east side of Iowa and it is just awesome to drive on the back roads on the river bluffs. I was recently in Spartanburg SC for training at the performance center for work although my rental car was a impala, I was really impressed with the roads out there. Next time I'm there I would really like to take a trip to the mountains for some driving hopefully with a BMW ;).

MGarrison

Welcome to the club Kit!
    AfghanVet09 likes this.

mrsbee guest

Boy do I know Helen, Ga! There is this stretch of old road, War Woman Rd I believe it's called, out to the east of town. That's one of my absolute favorite stretches of pavement to go down while on the motorcycle. Something about the primative-ness of the surrounding woods and homes gives me a feeling like I've magically stepped into some sort of time portal and found myself in North Georgia circa 1890. (so what, the motorcycle is a 1975, it fit in the time portal too)

Depressing seasons I ALSO know about. Growing up in Wisconsin, I'm no stranger to the gloom and doom of the dreary grey days of winter. I got quite a bit of enjoyment chasing snow plows, but at the same time the lack of sunshine made my pasty white skin glow in the dark. When I turned to artificial light to try to supplement my lack of smiles and a tan - that's when I also found myself packing the truck of my ever so small car to adventure to warmer climates. I still have family in Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska and some other places that I can't remember, and I feel bad for them on days like today. Days where I can open my sunroof, blast some wicked tunes and not wear ten layers of clothes just to go to the mailbox.

AfghanVet09

Y'all should look at the up side of learning how to drive in such unholy weather, you can go to the autobahn this time of the year and have no problems enjoying it... I'd end up going at a snails pace because if I went any faster the car would probably end up in some trees... Charlson89, you should tell the car rental place next time you come south you expect them to carry whatever M series you'd like to rent. MrsBee all the money that could be used to bring northern Ga to at least the 20th century goes to Atlanta! But those older bikes (and cars) are I personally think are better because they are easier to work on; personally I'd love to buy a 2002 because it'd be easier to do work on then my Z3.

Charlson89 - what did you think about the school? I was reading about it and thought it sounded like fun but would like to hear what other people thought.

charlson89

I went to school there for work I am a BMW/MINI technician and was taking some training classes on the new models. But the instructors were very kind and let us take out some M3's on the track and it was a blast. I would highly recommend any of the driving classes they have there. The instructors are very nice and the assortment of vehicles they have in there fleet is quite impressive.

AfghanVet09

That's good to hear... What I'd really like to do is maybe get BMW and Wounded Warrior Project put on a course for disabled veterans. Think that the course and the instructors could help build confidence in these men; I had to relearn how to drive on a virtual reality truck at the old Walter Reed but it didn't really translate into real world driving.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Welcome to the asylum---and thank you for your service!
    AfghanVet09 likes this.

AfghanVet09

Thank you, I'm really glad to finally be a member and everyone has been so kind!
    MrsBee likes this.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Someday I'll write down my Top Down Loud Drivin' play list. I think playing Mr. Big's "Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little Boy" at eleven will probably get you arrested in a Z3 2.5i...

MGarrison

"Road Trip Play Lists"thread - Do it! :)
    MrsBee likes this.

mrsbee guest

I'd second that motion, on the grounds that "Radar Love" isn't allowed.
    • Staff

steven s

That's only because it's before your time. :)