Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Why is BMW making every Imaginable model?

Discussion in 'BMW' started by AlpineRob, Dec 10, 2012.

AlpineRob

I have been a BMW fanatic for as long as I can remember..I am 25 and have had E30s, E36, and now an E46 coupe... I have loved each one.. I have also driven one of just about all other series..

My worry is that BMW use to be this exclusive company that was ok with the idea of making the Ultimate Driving Machine for those who knew what that meant and knew what they wanted specifically in a car, and now BMW is tailoring their cars to every imaginable market out there.. In just a few years, we have seen an overwhelming surge of new models, that to a lot of BMW lovers, don't make sense.. I am referring to X1, X4(?(, 5 series GT, 1 series sedan(??), 2 series, front wheel drive models to come!? (please noo..).,and the one that hurts me the most: 4 series...!... Why on earth would BMW take its beloved, most traditional and recognizable models and change its name!!??? The first thing anyone ever thinks about when they hear BMW, is the 3 series.. The 3 series accounts for over 40% of ALL sales. So why is a marketing advantage to mess with that? If it aint broke, dont fix it...The only reason the 4 series is happening because Audi, for the first time a few years ago, introduced an A5 coupe...Ever since Audi's sales matched BMW's, nothing has been the same.. Let Audi be Audi..

Despite my confusion and concern for my favorite automaker losing its heritage and tradition, I will remain loyal...I have strayed in the past to different cars such as Mazda and MINI...though both great cars, they did not even resemble what I feel in a real BMW.. BMWs are Amazing machines indeed...

and even though I hate the new 4 series name....Oh my goodness is it good looking.. =)

I may have just opened a can of worms, but I certainly like feedback

Happy Holidays

PS. Save the Manuals!

" Cowboys that make dust, don't eat dust " BMW realy likes to lead the pack of the upper end world class German car manufacturers and didn't want to be left in the "dust" by Mercedes,Porsche and especially Audi .You can start anywhere but the CLS was the first with a 4dr & 4 passenger coupe, then the A7,Panamera and pulling up the rear, the 6 series Gran Coupe.I think a strong reason for the 4 series was the A5, Mercedes and Porsche will surely follow.BMW has stated that they want 100 models within 5 years and although most of us think of it as model clutter, BMW is expanding world wide market share.The 1 series is very big in Europe and here it's not even a dimple , but will continue to grow substantially.
    German car buyers don't like change and when it comes,they're slow to accept it but over time,they seem to.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Oh, puh-leeez. BMW has been muttering for years about differentiating the four-doors from the two doors, and now they finally got around to it. We've been doing the same thing with your vaunted 3 Series: "I have an E90." "Oh, you poor thing; I have an E92!" "Well, I've got you both beat: I drive an E93!"

Argh. Trust me, the 4 Series will sell like crazy---especially the M4. OH, THE HORROR!

MGarrison

I just wish the M4 moniker didn't make me think so much of something that sounds like a Sherman Tank because, oh, yeah, that's right, it WAS the M4 Sherman tank! Oh well, who's gonna remember that, WW2 ended like what, over 67 years ago right? History, Shmistory, yes? But, ya, it won't matter, it'll sell like hotcakes, and we'll be droolin' regardless. :D

alpinaman

im all game for the models BUT

2 series ?!
    FWD?!?!?!?!?
    what were you thinking ?!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

They will indeed have front-drive models; after all, they already have the platform, selling quite well as the Mini. But the first 2 Series we'll see should be the coupe version of the current 1 Series.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

In case you're wondering about the 2 Series, take a look at the wonderful M135i at play. This is BMW's new Christmas video (last year was the artist trying to draw in an M5). Both links are on the BMW News part of the BMW CCA site, but because I want to save you some time,

here's an a cappella choir trying to sing "Jingle Bells" while Martin Tomczyk scares the peanuts out of their M&Ms...
    • Staff

steven s

I like the M135i. Then again, I like the compact and Z3 coupes. :)
    But a $40,000 hatchback? I don't like it $40,000 much.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Yeah, but you have a Mini. For me, it's the fun quotient; that's why I have the roadster. It's the same reason I have a 350-horsepower E30. I assure you that $40,000 is merely the beginning.