Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Valve cover Gaskets

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by bluewagon, Dec 6, 2012.

bluewagon

I have a 2003 325it 119000 miles. The valve cover gaskets were change in 2008-And again in 2010.
    I am replacing them again today. Is this normal, or should I be looking for something else.

Bluewagon
    • Staff

steven s

I think 4 years is a bit soon.
    I take it they are leaking?

bluewagon

Steve; Thanks for your reply.
    To update every one The VC gaskets were replaced on 6/10/08 and1/25/12 and then again today. Today's
    change was free of charge. They were dripping at the passengers side rear corner. Not enough to drip onto the garage floor , but enough so you could smell the burning oil when you put the car away. It was 4 years, but you said that is a bit soon. What could be some reasons that they are having to be changed so soon.
    Thanks
    bluewagon

charlson89

Check you crankcase pressure and make sure its not much if it is then that could be blowing out the valve cover gasket. Another thing is the valve cover itself is made of plastic and can warp.

328ioc

^^^ This.. It is also very easy to keep it lined up if you don't tighten down the VC in the right order. IE don't tighten every bolt right away go in a xcross pattern and tighten it down slowly.

prowlerflyer

The above is correct, but also consider the age of your CCV system. If it is not functioning properly it can cause higher crankcase/VC pressure, and cause oil leaks or worse in cold weather.