Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

How To Get Started......

Discussion in 'Driving Schools' started by apollotrance1, May 4, 2008.

apollotrance1 guest

Basically, I have no previous drving schools under my belt. I am trying to get into possibly some club racing and maybe do some SCCA or NASA racing, but I am not sure where to start. I have be reading on performance/racing schools and how they help, but how can I gain some track time, even before going to the schools, in my current postion?

BMWCCA1

The obvious Step One would be to join BMW CCA! Club Racing is an activity of the Club and all participants must be BMW CCA members. That being said, I'm unable to find any links to Club Racing on this site (bad on us, or bad on me for not being able to find it) so please look here for more information. The place to start is in you local chapter's driving schools, which also require Club membership. If you have any question about schools near you, look on the calendar, consult your local chapter's website, or call the office or more help.

1996 328ti guest

On the home page there is
    [IMG]

I agree, CCA driving schools are a great place to start.
    Some students are happy doing DEs and some find them not enough and go racing.
    If you think CCA schools are racing, they may not be for you.
    But I bet you will be a better racer after learning car control skills at CCA schools.
    You'd might better off looking into SCCA or NASA.

BMWCCA1

Silly me! I was looking under menu tabs for "Membership Benefits", "Contact Us", etc. Homepage: Never overlook the obvious. Thanks.

apollotrance1 guest

Thanks for the help! I wasn't trying to jump right into something like SCCA or NASA, but to gradually step up from the school, then try the club racing, and POSSIBLY do some SCCA or NASA racing. I have a far way to go until I enter SCCA or any type of racing, but would like to get to some kind of school and drive on a track again with "race-like" simulation.

mowens guest

I can't tell where you are from, but here in the Dallas area we have an opportunity through Texas Driving Experience to get on Texas Motor Speedway. You must attend a beginner course, but along with driver training sessions it includes two sessions on TMS' inner road track. You are then eligible for the biannual Roval, which is four half-hour session on both the large and small track. I just did my first Roval, and it was a BLAST!! My 550i was outclassed as most of the cars were newer 'Vettes, but I still learned a lot and had a great time. If there is a track in your area, I would look into something like this.

I also hope to begin driving at my local club's autocrosses, and am hoping to do an M school next spring.

Good Luck!! and Have FUN!!

UltraMagneticAL guest

if you find a club that does open track days, try to volunteer as a flag worker...they usually pay you back with free track time during the practice sessions :)