Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1995 M3 brake pads/rotors for 1994 325i

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by admitmd, May 3, 2008.

admitmd guest

For over 14 years, I've been dealing with brake dust on my 1994 325i. Recently I heard that if you change over to M3 brake pads, there is a significant reduction of brake pad dust, AND that the brake pads will last longer.

I would like to know if anyone has put 1995 M3 brake pads/rotors on a regular 1994 BMW 325i, and if there is any danger in do so.

Is it safe to assume that any brake pads/rotors made for an e36 will fit any e36 model ('95 M3, '94 325i)?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

1996 328ti guest

Huh?
    Someone is telling you M3 pads dust less?

Change your type of pad.
    You might try Ultimate Axxis, but nothing is dust free.

BTW, replacing to M3 brakes will require calipers, bracket, rotors, steering knuckle and limit your wheel size choices.

admitmd guest

Thank you for your reply. I was aware that I had to replace my rotors, which I was planning to do anyway. But you state that I have to replace the calipers, bracket, steering knuckles as well. How certain are you of this?

If this is the case, I might go with the Ulimate Axxis, in the end!

1996 328ti guest

Very.
    This was a common upgrade for E36s. A better upgrade are E46 3xx rotors and calipers.
    But you really just need to experiment with pads.

EuroWerkz1

Changing brake pad sizes ( which is what you would be doing going to the E M size, which by the way is not possible with out changing all other brake components) will not improve your brake dust issue. European brake pad compound standards dictate compounds that cause excessive dust, even though they work extremely well in all other measured performance areas. Keeping in mind that everything is a compromise when trading performance for quietness, or dust for a relatively dust free brake pads, in other words you can't have it all in a brake pad. I have had great luck using and selling the Hawk Performance Ceramic as a high performing near dust free pad. I would recommend installing them on new rotors for best results and for your best chance for quiet operation.

admitmd guest

Thank you, Doug. I'll also look into the Hawk ceramic pads, but will definitely not plan on going up to the M3 pads, rotors, etc.

Have you heard of the Akebono ceramic pads? Any experience in comparison to the Hawk ceramic pads, by chance? Thank you.