Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Has anyone upgraded from an E85 to an E89 Z4

Discussion in 'E89 Z4 (2009-present)' started by tbdbitl, Oct 2, 2012.

tbdbitl

Hi. I currently own a 2007 3.0i Z4, and am starting to think about a trade for a new one. Has anyone here gone from the original Z4 to the new one, and if so what were your experiences?

Thanks in advance.

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

I went from a 2006 M Roadster, to a 2011 Z435is. Not sure if you're talking comfort, convenience, or performance. What are your concerns?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I seriously CONSIDERED going from a 2006 M roadster to a Z435is, BUT YOU GOT MY CAR!

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Satch,
    The Bee was in for service last week, 6,600 miles come fast when you're having fun...
    Fresh oil & filter & of course the mandatory Dealer all points inspection.
    I'll keep it nice for you...

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Thanks! I appreciate it!

dschultz 07 Z4 M Coupe

Wait, how is this an upgrade? :)

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Until the next M Roadster shows up, this is the hottest new
    Z on the lot. I have 2 years of seat time in an M Roadster.
    Drive a Z435is & let's talk.;)

tbdbitl

For me, comfort and convenience are the key ingredients. It is my primary car, driven all year round, although I am retired so the urgency to go out in bad weather is not there any more. Wife complains that the current one is too small, but I think she really doesn't like the soft top. We have taken it on longer trips and I have golf clubs in it all summer, top up or down, which is important.

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Good news, bad news... The new Z has some more interior room & the overall car feels bigger & less choppy.
    There is a convenience shelf behind the seats that adds some interior storage space too. However, you may want to bring your golf bag with you for your test drive... the folding mechanism for the top does segment the trunk.
    Top up, same or more space in the trunk, top down, not so much...

It's a more comfortable car, with more interior room. The lines look great with the top up, or down.
    Take one for a test drive & you be the judge.

tbdbitl

Thanks. Have been spoiled by the 2007. Was told that a design criteria was to get 2 golf bags in the trunk, and I have done it many times. Headed to the course with top down too. Does the pass through from the trunk have any real value?

BTW - I also put my tuba(honestly) in the car too, but it has to go as a passenger.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I think the most important difference is safety: visibility with the top up. With the rear-quarter windows in the E89, it's night and day. Changing lanes in my roadster with the top up is an exercise in faith; that's one reason why the top is NEVER up. . . or at least hardly ever. Certainly in single-digit percentages.

tbdbitl

And the fact that you live in San Diego has nothing to do with it??? (I live in CT, and am insanely jealous). Mine is down all summer, except when party A is along,.....

cubby1961 2013 BMW Z4 sDrive 28i Atacama Yellow

I went from a 2005 3.0i to a 2011 30i and now to a 2013 28i. I am a big guy and the interior room in the E89 is larger. More headroom and you don't have to duck down to get in (I'm 6'4"). As mentioned, the rear quarter windows are great and I feel much more comfortable changing lanes. I do miss the storage area in the trunk when the top is down. Not only do you loose a lot of room but you can't really get to it either without putting the top back up. The interior is also much more quiet and easier to cool in the summer thanks to the hard top.

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Hey Satch, two Yellow Z's on the same page!
    Now we know where your March Cover Car ended up...

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Heh. It probably wasn't the same car, but somehow, when it comes to getting car from the press fleet, when they see my name on the application, they know what to bring up from the basement. . .

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

We get no respect... I don't have access to the press fleet, but on the rare occasion that I have needed a car from the service loaner fleet, I generally get a car that looks & smells like the previous driver was a Sheep Dog. The service loaner fleet should be the most impressive cars on the lot! They represent an involuntary, long term test drive. Spend a few days in a 5 Series & the 3 Series you dropped off for service seems cramped. Old School?