Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

M3 Brake Pads for e36

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by admitmd, May 2, 2008.

admitmd guest

For over 14 years, I've been dealing with brake dust on my 1994 325i. Recently I heard that if you change over to M3 brake pads, there is a significant reduction of brake pad dust, AND that the brake pads will last longer.

I would like to know if anyone has put M3 brake pads on a regular BMW 325i, and if there is any danger in do so, even though my car is not an M3. My car is an e36 model, and I would purchase M3 brakes and rotors for my e36 model.

mjweimer

admitmd,

The E36 M3 brake pads will not fit the brake calipers on the E36 325i.

If you want a brake pad with less dust and good pedal feel have a look at Akebono Euro Ceramic pads.

I use these on my cars and have been very, very happy with their performance and reduced dust.

Matt

admitmd guest

Thank you, Matt.

In fact, I was just looking at the PBR Ultimate Ceramic (at www.statracing.com) pads, when I saw the Akebono pads. Never heard of them before.

The website lists several types, though: ACT Ceramic and two types of Euro Ceramics (all with shims).

What's the difference, and what do I do with the shims? Sorry being so rudimentary with my queries.

jesimmons guest

I discovered Akebono Euro Ceramics a year ago and put a set on my Volvo and was very happy with them - both from a low dust and braking performance perspective.

I could not locate a set for my 2008 535i, so I tried the AXXIS Advanced Deluxe (made by Bendix in Australia). Their performance is very very close to the stock BMW pads, but dust is almost entirely eliminated. I am extremely pleased. A short review here: http://stage.bmwcca.org/reviews/showproduct.php?product=48&limit=recent

mjweimer

The Euro Ceramics are the pads I was referring to in my previous post. They come with shims pre-applied to the back of the pads so you will not need to worry about what to do with them. The shims help keep the pads from vibrating in the caliper thus reducing the potential for noise.

One other tip; make sure to clean all of the pad contact surfaces before installing the new pads. You will be able to see all of the areas where the pads contact the caliper and carrier by inspecting the existing pads before removal.

Matt

admitmd guest

Matt,

Thanks so much. I just received the Akebono Euro Ceramics the other day. I also ordered the Zimmerman x-drilled rotors and plan to install them next Sat at our local BMW DIY day. Thank you again for your input. I hope to god that this does it with the brake dust!

Best, steve
    • Staff

steven s

I was under the impression that cross-drilled dusted more than blanks.

jesimmons guest

When installing new pads (even those with shims), I always put a light even coating of high temperature silicon grease (I use the Volvo stuff) on the fronts of the caliper pistons where they contact the inside brake pad shim, and on the inside of the outer caliper where it presses against the back of the outer pad. This grease will further dampen any vibrations. Enjoy your DIY day. Brakes and rotors are a great DIY project (though expect to get a bit dirty in the process). Let us know how it goes. :)

And be sure to give those rims a real good cleaning while you've got the wheels off the car.