Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

335d dropped??

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by MGarrison, Jul 10, 2012.

MGarrison

Maybe this was already a news bit in a past Roundel & I missed it, but was looking on the BMW website - no 335d, although the diesel is still available in the X5. I thought they should have offered the diesel in more models, including the 3er coupe - for me at least, the attractive coupe combined with the torque/performance and mpg's of the diesel has a lot of appeal - more so than the sedan. Anyone know why? Not enough sales??

On another note, we finally pretty much see the end of the Bangle-butt era, but now we're affronted with the bull-nosing of the model line, starting with the new 3's. Looks fine on the Z4's, but the hood and nose on the new 3er sedans... I'm not a fan... thoughts, anyone?

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Market forces and regulations...

They did not sell enough diesel cars I guess (market forces) and since it cost them $x-million to do the required certification for each engine and body combo (regulations), it did not merit sufficient monitary return to spread the engine around.

The bulging nose is to meet pedestrian impact mitigation rules (those regulations again), which first gained a foothold in Europe. They now need to create more crush space between the hood sheet and the hard bits of the engine beneath, hence no more tight hood to engine clearance=a new challenge to aesthetics.

There are many reasons that I am keeping my older cars...

floydarogers

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

OK, this is encouraging! "Make it so, numba one..."

JackE30

I'm disappointed they discontinued the 335d. I rode in one today and it was shocking how fast it is (being a diesel). As far as the new three series, not really sure if I like it. However the new f10 five series looks fantastic.

charlson89

There is a few of the 4 cylinder diesel 3 series running around america right now in the testing stages. There is also talk on the wire about a 6 cylinder tri turbo M car starting the testing stage. I really hope that BMW keeps expanding there diesel lines to america. I agree with Mgarrison the F30 front ends looks way to boxed in the front. Although I did PDI a new F30 with the M sport aero package and it actually looks really nice.