Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E90-M3 Sound System Cuts Out

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by dma0413, Aug 7, 2012.

dma0413

So, the car is in the shop. Having this intermittent radio issue where a loud pop comes through the speakers and then the sound cuts completely for about 3 seconds then resumes. Mostly on long trips. Other forums mention a TSB (Tech Service Bulletin) related to an overheating amp issue but no specific numbers or replies indicating the issue was fixed under warranty.
    Question is, does anyone know of a specific TSB for this and have details I can share with my Service Advisor. I don't want to be a PITA and I am just establishing myself with the dealer so I don't want to press too hard, but I am already getting the "can't find any fault codes" spiel. Clearly it's a problem, and I'm not the only one with it, nothing more embarassing than taking folks for a drive in your M and having their ears blown out. Personally, I'd rather have the radio off and listen to the symphony of that V-8 but after a couple hours of that, passengers get bored.

dma0413

Well for those interested, the issue was corrected with a software update. All sorts of other things seem to be functioning better as well. Cold starts seem less violent for lack of a better word, and fuel economy is a little improved. Can't complain at all. Big thanks to Eric at Northlake BMW in Huntersville. Great dealer, very good service and the 2011 528 they put me up in for a couple days wasn't half-bad either. ;)