Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Whoo Hoo! First Z3 Post Ever!

Discussion in 'E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)' started by cozog, Mar 3, 2008.

cozog guest

316657 guest

joining the party..

i have a 2001 3.0 z3. joining the party! i havent had any problems with her todate but then again, i only have 27,500 mi. on her.

David Pancza guest

1998 Z3

I have a 1998 Z3 that I got from Iowa. It only has 24k miles on it. It was a garage queen. Has anybody ever replaced a rear window? Mine is clouded.

316657 guest

clouded z3 window

you know, i think it's just something that happens to these plastic windows. i had a jeep wrangler too and no matter how much i tended to it with plexus and the whole works, it eventually clouded.

now i bought my z3 used, i think it was a year or two old, and they replaced the rear window for me at the dealer before the deal was made. i garage it and never take it out in the rain and clean it with the plexus cleaner, put the 'window protector' on when the top is down, and five years later it's clouded again.

i think it's a pain in the you know what to change it. i have some buddies at a local shop that i do a lot of business with and i can call them tomorrow for you and find out if you'd like. they're closed now.

if you dont find out between now and tomorrow, i'll let you know.

GO Z'S GO and i mean z3 when i say Z'S

8string guest

Replacement of the window is a zip-in unit, but best left to a top shop.

Chances are you can clean and polish it to useable condition. I've used Meguiar's PlastX, which is a wipe-on, wipe-off product available at most auto supply stores. Except for the fold, my 10 year old window looks great. This stuff also works on headlight lenses, etc.

elitesoldier7 guest

Cleaning Soft Top

Hi everyone i jsut got a 2001 BMW z3 and was wondering what the best products and steps to take are for cleaning the soft top. This is my first convertible so i am new to how to do this.

OldSid guest

I just became the owner of 1998 Z3. Bought it from a dealer and probably paid too much, but I have it and I love it. It only had 12678 miles on the odometer and is in showroom condition.

316657 guest

everyone pays too much at the dealer or anywhere for that matter. they're in the business to make money, not lose it. anyway, lots of luck with your new z3. what color did you get? you'll be so happy with it. i think it's just a great looking classic german roadster.

keep her or him in showroom condition too but i'm sure you will.

David Pancza guest

Michelin PS2s

I just put Michelin PS2s on my 98Z3MRoadster and it was quite a difference from the Michelin Pilot A/S I had on it. No change in noise levels, but a beete feel, and absolute loss of control (tailwhip) if you are not careful. if you must drive in the rain, or damp wet conditions, don't put these on.

OldSid guest

It is Green with a beige top and beige interior. It also had four new Michelins on it, it think replace because of their age. The original owner said he just didn't drive it much. Under the hood everything is pristine shiny black. Obvious it has never been driven in any kind of bad weather.

I have one question of y'all. Yesterday I was listening to the demo tape, setting radio presets and just generally checking out what I had got. I was going to lower the top just to try it (didn't try it at the dealers) and discovered that it didn't work electrically, had to do it manually. Did some come without a power top? Can't imagine why they would do that.

OldSid guest

Another Question

Actually, I have another question. What does it cost to join the BMWCCA, and what are the benefits. I couldn't find the price anywhere without filling out the form and going all the way to checkout.

az3579

OldSid guest

Convertible top

My Bad. Chalk it up to a Senior moment....seems I've had a lot of those lately. Tried opening the soft top again electrically and it worked just fine. Seems there is an interlock with the brake pedal. DUH!!!!

J B Lansing guest

Hello All

Glad to see this forum up and running! I bought a 2000 2.8 roadster last fall. silver (yeah, I know....) with the fancy 17", cross spoked wheels; 225-45, 245-40 tires; red and black "M" interior; 69k when I got it. Very good shape generally except the glove box sagged (I found a six kit on E-bay) a ding in the right door someone daubed miss-matched silver paint on. Also the red leather on the passenger side air bag panels is shrunk and loose and the guides for the seat belts on the sides of the seats are broken as they were on many other Z3s I looked at.
    This all makes the car sound like it is falling apart, which it is not!
    Runs and handles like I hoped and cleans up very nicely.
    Anyway glad to see this site and will visit frequently.
    J B
    Oh! Anyone have the instructions for the business model radio?
    Thanks

45guy guest

J B Lansing guest

Thank you

Thanks 45guy, it was what I was looking for.
    I went to a undercarriage tech session at the Newport BMW and learned a lot! turned out the only problem was a power steering hose that had hardened and was weeping. I got it replaced on the spot and save some $. Rear Shock seals are just starting to harden, but did not need replacing yet. Diagnostic test showed a seat belt anomaly, not serious. nice to know the car is basically in very good shape. The tech rep ran my vin number and got the complete service history as well as all the options. nice to know also. I would recommend a session like this if you have a recent purchase as it sets your mind at ease.
    J B

45guy guest

How did you get wind of that opportunity?
    I'd love to have someone give it the once-over and learn something at the same time.
    If by Newport you meant OC, that's my neighborhood (kinda) and I'd want to get in on the next one.
    Let me know!
    Ed

J B Lansing guest

I belong to the Boston area Bimmer group. They are very active in promoting events like this and seem to be effective in getting the BMW dealers to cooperate. I get notices by E-mail for these and driver schools, concourse events, ralleys etc. I assumed other regional groups do this also, but maybe not?
    J B

330indy1

yo! JBL!!! what is your real name haus????

J B Lansing guest

290065. Why do you ask
    J B