Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Mirrors with a mind of their own

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by johndeangelo, Jun 25, 2012.

johndeangelo

Both drivers and passenger side mirrors will change position on their own after parking and re-entering car. I have set and reset the memory many times. I am in and out of my car several times daily,it's become a major pain. Does anyone have an idea on a solution? I've had the car since new,previous car an E46 I had for 4 years, never had this kind of issue with either. The car has comfort access and I have used only one key since day one.

Pyewacket1

I assume you have iDrive, first of all.

When you say you have reset the memory numerous times, I will also assume you are using the seat position button on the driver side seat to set the seating position, mirror memory, etc.

Go into the settings screen in iDrive and find the option that deals with the key fob remembering the last seat/mirror position and make sure the option is unchecked.

See if your mirrors change the next time you unlock and crank your car.

johndeangelo

Unfortunately I don't have iDrive.

mrsbee guest

Although, its probably not much help, I do know that my 128 has mirrors that automatically adjust when the car goes into the Reverse mode, I suppose this is to help you from not backing over small children and such. It comes in super handy when I attempt to parallel park--but my parking isn't the point--your mirrors are.

Perhaps there is a fault that sends a signal that says that your car is in reverse and then it changes its mind...or is it that your mirrors only move when you put the transmission in go backwards mode?

johndeangelo

I don't have the switch set to tilt when I reverse, also it happens to both mirrors.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Can you be more specific about exactly what happens when. So:

Exactly when do the mirrors move out of position? When you shut down? When you lock? When you unlock? When you start up? When you engage a gear?

Do they both move together? Or one at a time?

Do they move to the same position each time?

Does your seat memory otherwise work normally, or do the seats go out of position too?

Does you passenger side mirror move upon reverse engagement?

Not sure I can decode this for you, but more info could provoke some one else to chime in with an idea.

Good luck.

johndeangelo

I notice the mirror(s) when I get in to the car. Lock,unlock it doesn't matter.
    It could be one or both mirrors, mostly drivers side.
    Seat memory is normal, always in the same place.
    Passenger mirror will tilt when engaged and in reverse.

If there's is a dedicated fuse for the mirrors only I'd pull the plug.