Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New CT Valley member

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by matthewmads, Jun 16, 2012.

matthewmads

hello fellow bimmers. new to the CCA but BMW has been a legacy in my family for some time now. my parents drove 80's 5's when i was growing up and now they've evolved to an x3 and a mini clubman. i drive the 525i touring wagon thats been in the family for about 12 years and it still runs like a top, 265,000 miles later. recently ive been looking to invest in an e28 535is but it seems to have fuel issues. if anyone has dealt with the fuel system in this era any advice would be greatly appreciated. many thanks and happy driving!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

You mean, like, fuel-PUMP issues?

Anyway, welcome to the asylum!

MGarrison

I don't know what specific fuel issues you may be referring to, but if no one pipes up here, try: http://www.mye28.com/

80's-era motronic fuel injection I think is relatively straightforward - A couple of fuel pumps, a filter, a fuel-pressure regulator, a fuel rail, injectors, an injector wiring harness with the injectors controlled by the motronic ECU, plus lines, fuel tank, carbon canister, & a few other things related to fuel return. I'd think rust and body rot would be a bigger problem, unless you can find one really clean. I'd go for as late a model E28 535i as could be had (production from 9/84 - 12/87, so an '86 or '87) unless the real E28 experts at mye28 suggest otherwise.

Cheezy

I just scored a clean '88 535is for a steal...:) A fellow enthusiasts wife was tired of playing second string to a car... ;) Good luck with your decision....