Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Happy Days are Here Again

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by bcording, Jun 19, 2012.

bcording

Great News! I traded in my 2008 535XI with 38,000 miles on it. WORST CAR I EVER OWNED!!! I ptty the poor SOB who purchases that car! Still have my fully restored 1973 2002tii which lives up to BMW's claim of what a performance car shouls be. Replaced the 535XI with a 2012 Volvo VC60 R version. More horsepower, more torque, NO I DRIVE and a DIP STICK. I will never own another new BMW... even if it was given to me.

Bcording
    1973 2002tii forever!

fshubert

You mean XC60 SUV? Can't find a VC60. May have been worth replacing the 535 with a 335. But good luck with the new ride!

drummerfc

WOW...sorry to hear about all of the problems with your 5-series! Can you tell us briefly what some of your more major issues were with the car?

My E39 525 was a beaut and I loved it but it just got up there in years and was using oil so I had to move up the food-chain a few years.

bcording

Sorry I wrote my 5 series complaint in the 3 series forum category. The 3 series is the best BMW made today, especially with the 335I motor. The engine and transmission of my 535XI were great with the exception of the 2 high speed fuel pumps that failed. You should have many happy years and miles with your 335I. Best of Luck! I cannot believe that BMW discontinued the non-turbo straight 6 cylinder engine! When I asked the BMW sales person at the auto show they stated that the BMW customer wanted "Better Fuel Economy"! I don't know too many BMW customers that buy for economy, they buy for handling and performance! Reliability would be a bonus but that did not happen in my case.

Buck Cording

bcording

My 2008 535XI was ordered from the factory with every option except infra-red. It was my dream car until I experienced continuous battery discharge failures. I had the car continuously hooked to a battery tender and was the laughing stock of the neighborhood. They asked me if I had the "NEW ALL ELECTRIC BMW"! I was in the process of submitting a Virginia Lemon Law suit because BMW could not fix the car.. I was accused of violating the BMW battery warranty (THERE IS NO BATTERY WARRANTY) and asked to pay $550 for a new battery. My Doctor has several 7 series BMWs and he had 2 batteries replaced free by BMW. Every time I tried to take the car on a long trip, I had to visit the BMW dealership to have the computer reset. Once I drove to Florida with a 2 wheel drive 535XI. Why pay for all wheel drive when 2 is all that you get? The other issues - 2 high speed fuel pump failures and at 38,000 miles the windshield wiper motor broke for a $1,400 repair bill. If it was a Briish car with Lucus electrical parts I could understand but this is a BMW. Long story short, BMW NA does not support their customers! Too bad, but I still have and love my fully restored 1973 2002tii, built from the ground up from a rust-free California car.

Buck Cording

mrsbee guest

Goodness! What a disaster! I had a very similar story with a car that I had before the tard (I lovingly called it the Onion, it what white and made me cry whenever I touched it).

Congrats on the Volvo, and knowing the track record they have you've made a wise decision when it comes to reliability. Rumor round the campfire is that the next big world event will be the Volvo that made it to the Peak of Mount Everest (see it at next years Banff Film Festival). I must say, i was in love with the styling of that particular Volvo, until I saw its backside...to me it looks like an old woman that spent too much time plucking her eyebrows.

drummerfc

Oh dude, that sucks. Sorry you went through all of that. Speaking from experience, the E39 5'er was one of the best cars BMW ever built. Why in God's name they strayed from the quality and excellence of that model in favor of the Bangle-butt 5s is the mystery question of life. When you have a good thing (it ain't broken), why mess with it (don't fix it!!)???

Case in point: Lexus has been making the RX3nn mid-size SUV for YEARS and aside from some modifications here and there, bigger engines, and the advent of new technology, the base car is still the same old reliable same old. My wife drives an '09 RX350...not my cup of tea by any stretch, but it's a reliable, stylish, smooth, nice looking ride. A good friend of mine bought an RX300(?) 11 years ago and it's still going strong.

Personally I wouldn't opt for a 5-series after the E39 or prior to the redesign. I have heard a few horror stories like yours elsewhere. And IMO they're just not as nice looking as the other models like the E39 or newer style.

I now have a 330i with the naturally aspirated 6, no turbochargers or high-speed fuel pumps to worry about. It's got the style of the 335i without the turbo/fuel pump issues and is pretty powerful in its own right.

Good luck with the Volvo. Next "episode" I'll tell you about my Volvo experience with a '98 Convertible C70 that will mirror your 535xi horrors!! A true POS! :mad:

fshubert

Wow! What a nightmare with the 5-er. Sorry to hear that. What a shame that BMW couldn't make the 5 as well as they do the 3. I too am not happy the straight-6 is gone unless it's a turbo (335) but in this case it's not an issue for me. Perhaps BMW will bring back the normally aspirated 6 after enough complaints. Good luck with the new ride and that sweet 2002tii!!