Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

One Lap of Austria

Discussion in 'European Delivery' started by dammride, Apr 6, 2012.

dammride

... maybe that should read, "One Lap Around Austria". Eight countries in four days.
    We've got snow tires reserved just in case. One week to der Welt.

oneLap.png

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Hey, Marinus! How did you manage to upload a map?!

dammride

Just three steps:
    1. grab screenshot of mapping program (Mac makes it easy, but there are lots of methods on Windows or Linux)
    2. Click the "Upload a file" button
      Screenshot.png
    3. Click the "Insert: Full Image" button.
      insert.png

CRKrieger

I'm impressed and surprised. Impressed because I love the Germanic/Italian Alps. Surprised because it's borderline criminal to drive around a country like Austria without getting to Vienna or Salzburg. This time last year, I'd just returned from our own trip that included only five countries in ten days. We drove much less than you, going from Zürich to Wien via Liechtenstein, Innsbruck, a short hop into Italy, and the castle district of Bayern. We didn't go to München only because I've been there before and the wife & two teen girls were more interested in Mozart's homes in Wien and Salzburg. I'd be interested in hearing if all the passes were open ...

dammride

Not worry about our skipping Wien. At almost the moment of our departure from the States, a Ukrainian friend told us, "I've been to 25 countries, and the city I love most is Vienna", and made us promise to visit it. So we spent two nights there, went to a Bierklinik, walked around the cathedral in Stephansplatz, and rode bicycles up (down?) the Danube. That leisure time did make us shorten our route through Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

About those passes... we'd planned to go over Flüela Pass south of Klosters, CH, but we overshot the turn north of Davos. When we turned around, and took a shortcut to the pass road, we missed the sign on the main route that said, "CLOSED". It seemed like traffic got awful light as we went on... and then

Fuela-closed.png

But this was a blessing in disquise; we backtracked to Klosters and got on the auto-ferry-train through the Vereina Tunnel Here's the train arriving at the upper end.

auto-train-ferry.png

You drive yourself on...

Screen shot 2012-04-26 at 7.10.17 PM.png

... Then it's a 19km downhill ride in inky blackness.

Next day, Stelvio Pass also closed!#$! Guess we need to go back again. :)

Satch SoSoCalifortified

You mean. . . inserting images is as easy as this?!
    2012-03-04_11-40-35_951.jpg

Pyewacket1

Christ!!!!

That was scary!!!

How about a little warning next time ???

Lol

MGarrison

^^^^ lol! :p

miata13

Love your choice of BMW! The upcoming 3 series F31 (if I stated that nomenclature correctly) sportwagon interests us...and European Delivery at the Welt would be fantastic. Congrats!

dammride

The new wagon replaces a first-year (2006) e91 that we bought as a CPO car. For the first six months, I had a love/hate relationship with that car - but the graph went positive and stayed there after the first long road trip. We contemplated waiting a year and getting the new 3-series wagon, with all its advances, but were certain we liked the existing model.

European Delivery? Absolutely recommended.

brucembergeron

God I wish I had shrunk my screen before scrolling down the that mug shot of our fearless leader........ Holy shit.. First the cover shot of him in the mini vert, and now this. What's to become of him next?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

How about a cover shot driving the 640i Gran Coo-pay?!

IS THIS THE GREATEST JOB ON THE PLANET, OR WHAT?!

brucembergeron

How about a cover shot of me driving the F30 M3!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

...but then YOU'D have the greatest job on the planet...