Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tire Selection Poll

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by kippintranet, May 21, 2012.

?

Which tires would you purchase for your Z4?

Poll closed May 28, 2012.
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec 1 vote(s) 33.3%
Continental ExtremeContact DW 2 vote(s) 66.7%
Kumho Ecsta SPT 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Other (Please specify in a reply) 0 vote(s) 0.0%

kippintranet

Need to replace my tires on my Z4. I have narrowed my options down to: Bridgestone Potenza RE-11, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, Continental ExtremeContact DW, Kumho Ecsta SPT, and Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2. They are all Summer/High Performance.

Attached Files:

wellardmac Ninja World Traveler

I have the DWs on my M3 and they're awesome tires - great handling and very quiet.

MGarrison

I don't have a Z4, but I'd be prone to go for the Dunlop Direzza expecting it to be a tire that delivers excellent handling and less prone to hydroplaning than the Bridgestone (based on tread pattern). Depends on what kind of driving you do - if you're not out exploring the limits of adhesion and/or have an interest in treadlife, then perhaps the others with higher treadlife ratings would be of interest. The Conti, Kumho, & Michelin all look like they might do better at water dispersal and hydroplaning, possibly at some expense of maximum lateral traction/grip.

shipkiller

It all depends on how you drive your car and how.

I had a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW tires on last year. They lasted 11K. Excellent tires and absolutely fantastic in the wet, I mean REALLY good wet. Many Z4 drivers on another forum have tried the StarSpecs and like them. I have also heard that they get a little greasy when they get hot, but have no first hand experience. Currently, I am running Nitto NT05's on my Z4MC. Both the DW's and NT05's were also used on the track in addition to daily driving.
    On my wife's Z4 Roadster, I have a set of Kumho Ecsta. A good and inexpensive all around tire. She will never push these tires to their limit.

My PERSONAL philosophy is this: If you don't do track events or autocross, only drive occasionally and not hard, then you should save your money and NOT buy the best tires there are since you will NEVER get what you paid for out of them.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I recommended the BS RE-11s to another Z driver and he wrote to tell me they're swell...

herbstz4m guest

May I ask why the RS3s are out of this poll? They are highly competitive with the Star Specs and have been rated the tire to have this year. I run them.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Is that the Hankook Vetus?

herbstz4m guest

BimmerBrad

I purchased Conti Extremes a few months ago and simply love them.

drummerfc

What...no Michelin Primacy MXM4s in your poll?? :confused:

I had a set of them put onto my prior car - 2002 E39 525i - about a year or so ago. As of trading it in last week, the tread was still in very good condition and they were still quiet, nice handling tires. I would purchase them again.

Claymore

Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I replaced the Contis, which were noisy as hell; I thought my front wheel bearings were going, it was that bad.

StewieZ4

I will probably have to get new tires next summer. I asked the dealer and he recommended the run flat Bridgestones and that maybe I could get the Continentals. He said he could not get Michelins. Is this a dealer opinion to sell tires?

MGarrison

charlson89

Just remember your vehicle does not have a spare so if you do go non RF then if you get a flat you will be stuck.