Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New to forum not to BMWs

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by wh1tby, May 22, 2012.

wh1tby

Just a short intro as I am new to the forums on BMW CCA.

I have owned BMWs for the past 20 odd years and am now on my 11th BMW. Seven 5ers, two X5s, one 3 series and one Z4 (Coupe 3.0Si). Currently own the Z4 and just purchased a new 2012 528i with that amazing N20 4 cyl. engine. First time on these forums but been a BMW CCA member for nearly 6 years.

Looking forward to reading about the experiences of other members and especially reaction to this new engine in the 5er.

I am originally from the UK but live in Austin, Texas so am a member of Tejas chapter. I tend not to be into the meets, but like to share technical and other experiences with other drivers of BMW products. Love the cars and have always placed handling at the top of my list. "The Ultimate Driving Machine" has always seemed appropriate.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Welcome to the discussion...

That is an impressive resume of BMW ownership!

How do you think the newest 5-er compares to the earlier ones?

wh1tby

The new F10 is a different sort of vehicle and probably suites my aging process better to be honest.

It is a softer car is some ways but I have never bought into the raw basic BMW ethos that states that they should be an engine and transmission with great suspension and the rest is just fluff. I like some of the comfort that the modern BMW gives me.

I have had a range of 5 ers in my time (520i to 540i) and would say this is the best, but they were all in tune with the time and my age at the time. The 540i I had was an E39 6 speed 540i with the sport package which was, to me the peak of the E39 and 5s before. Since then the E60 which I owned was a great car, but not exactly good looking and the 530i model I had was underpowered even though it was the 255 bhp N52 engine. The low end torque was too low and the 6.7s 0-60 was not good enough for me. The car was superbly reliable but did not really excite me. This new car (F10) has the potential to be a winner. It is good looking, has enough comfort to satisfy my luxury car needs and has a superb suspension and consequent handling along with an amazing engine. When I drive her, I really do have to forget the number of cylinders under the hood (bonnet) and just enjoy. It is a culture shock for someone brought up believing that number of cylinders equals power and sophistication.