Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Red Rooster curse continues!!!

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Zdaneman, Mar 4, 2012.

Zdaneman

All,

The Red Rooster curse strikes again over the winter. This garage princess just keeps having one drama queen episode after the other!!

I had a deer strike sitting still during the winter while out wiht the wife looking at Chirstmas lights. Honest to God we were sitting still and I got hit in the front fender by a small doe. Easy fix with the paintless dent guys. Perfect job! Too bad it killed the deer, broke its neck and the dent was smaller than a baseball. All I can say was 1990 was a good sheet metal year.

Anywho, so the tires are about 5 years old with 4 K miles and I start having slow leaks, then pick up two nails. So off I go to get new tires. The moring prior I drive to work and cut too sharp on a turn and hit the curb...rim rash!! So off comes the tire and it goes to Wheel Collison in PA. They turn in in two days and what a great job!!

So the pain continues, I got to Merchants, (know the service manager, BMW nut too!) get 5 new Yokohamas and arranged for him to do the work. He's as anal as I am and very professional. I take the car up two days later with the caps off the Ronal wheels (stock pattern 15 x 7.5) and he's not there at work. Guys at desk so no big issue, they will use new machine and get it done right and be very careful with the car. I had a sick feeling all day..like leaving a child with someone you know is just not responsible. I stressed with the clerk, no screw ups and use the machine pads for the claws and not to ding up the rims.....its a show car. I pick it up that afternoon and all looks good with a quick walk around. I get home and start cleaning up the rims, all 4 have marks on them......I just wanted to scream. Well, I call Steve the next day and take the car back up to him. Sure enough they marked up all 4 rims and he has no issue paying to make the rims right ( turned or polished out) by Wheel Collision Center. It looks like, counting shipping, its going to cost him about 600.00 to correct his guys crappy work with the tire machine. Biggest pain in the arse is having to put the car up on jacks, remove the tires off the car, pull the tires off the rims, send them off for repair, re mount the tires on the rims (not screwing it up again), remount the tires on the car and finally take the car back for a re-allignment. All the while, I should be at the paint shop getting some small touch up work done and re- painting the bottom black on the car. So much for being ready for show season this year by May?

At least, while its up on the stands in my garage, I'll install new carbon brake pads and sensors.

Hopefully the curse will go away for a while

Zdaneman sends

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

At least this all happened during the winter instead of the middle of drive 'n show season!

MGarrison

I washed my E34 for the first time last fall after it had been sitting (mostly outside) for about two years waiting for a head-gasket job... the door sills are rusted, it has a bullet hole in a fender, (prior owner, not me, just fyi), a variety of dents, and the sills at the back of the front wheelwells are rusted through - I don't have your kinds of worries! ;)

Zdaneman

I know it would be worse in the driving season. But its such a pain in the arse of having to pull wheels, ship them tthen re-install and take the car for another allignment. This is time I had planned for other little prep jobs for show season . The car should be in the paint shop now for a few touch ups instead of sitting on jacks in the garage. Maybe, I'll get everything done by show time in May?

MGarrison

Sounds like you need some bottlecaps to roll on while saving the show wheels for... show! ;) (& then you can continue projects without being held up waiting for your wheels, too!)

Zdaneman

MGarrison,

Friend your right, but my garage is only so big. Old lady's Z4 3.0si is on the other side, 99ZRX Eddie Lawson rep motorcycle is in the center. I've got a fully stacked 4 shelf stand with only bike parts too. Lets not mention the huge gun safe.

Funny you should mention extra show parts (all just for show): new front air damn waiting to be painted, front grill assembly( everything), german license plate(E30 LOVE), floor mats still in plastic, new trunk mat, and the list goes on and on. Our neighbor, Ms. Cravets (of BeWitched Fame) every neighborhood has one, tells me I have OCD. She thinks all I do is clean cars. Good thing she doesn't see the all the guns. I waterfowl hunt too and get the how can you kill all those pretty little ducks talk evertime the Wareagle boat with blind sits out front.

Most of the guys on this site would freak if they saw how Ms Cravets gave a pristine Red 1988 Volvo to her son to drive to college. Now a year later it not only looks like it aged 30 years ,it sounds like it as it rolls by. What a waste...her father would roll over in his grave if he saw it. I wouldn't give you 2K for it now and it only had 25K miles when her father passed away. Her relpy..its just and old car. OMG!

I've been looking at another set of Ronal's on Ebay still new in the box. I just don't have 1200.00 to play with right now and even if I got them truly no place to keep them.

Just call me storage challengened.

Zdaneman sends

AugustneverEnds 1988 325iS, 1989 750iL

Ouch!!
    Well on the less slippery slope at least your Mr. Steve has integrity and corrected the mistakes and you obviously love your car. If only every BMW has an owner who would take the pains you do we wouldn't see E24s with rusted wheel arches or E9s rusted to oblivion or E46s with six different idiot lights illuminated or, oh I'd just be repeating myself... Better luck for this Spring and Summer

two30grain

sorry to hear about all that heartache. . . could you possible post pictures of your E30? i am super curious as a fellow e30 pilot!

Zdaneman

two30grain,

Here you go!I

Attached Files:

two30grain

good god, she is a beaut! did you put on that trunk liner? both of my e30's are bare there.

Zdaneman

two30grain,

Yes, I put the liner in myself. Stock glue is pretty poor when the summer heat is on. It will be one of winter projects this year to pull it and do it right! I got the liner from a National Capital Club member, he had ordered it years ago. I've never seen another one myself. Thanks for the comments. I do love driving her hard. 89K on the meter now. If I'm lucky I get in her twice a week for 15 to 20 miles. This summer I plan to do a rode trip with her a few weekends. I need to break 90 K for show points.

What patch is that? I'm an old 5th SFG (A) soldier. ODA 523 / ODA 524 / ODB 590

Zdaneman sends

two30grain

89k is like new! im approaching 200k, and i will get there whenever i get this other engine in!

3rd SC BDE, out of Ft. Hood. and correct me if I am wrong, but from your unit, it looks like you got to grow a beard? hard core brother.