Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E90 Electrical Gremlin, Flickering Lights, Computer Reboot

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Zahnarzt, Feb 24, 2012.

Zahnarzt

My 2006 E90 330xi MT Sport (98,000mi) has an issue I'm trying to nail down. I've followed Mike Miller's Old School Maintenance schedule since day one.
    Once or twice every other day or so, the lights inside and outside the car seem to flicker when the engine is under load now and then to the point where 4x4/AWD/DSC/cruise control/start-off assist errors come up, and then the computer seems to reboot. Sometimes it takes more than one reboot for the problem to correct itself. Then the errors stick until I shut down and restart the car. Then everything is normal. This has worked 100% of the time thus far. The car was doing this maybe once a month until the last few weeks or so.
    Here's a video:

The only electrical-related work this car has had other than a headlight and an angel eye bulb was the replacement of the steering wheel angle sensor. The steering wheel angle sensor solved an issue where 4x4/AWD/DSC/cruise control/start-off assist errors would pop up seemingly at random, often clearing once the car was shut down and restarted.
    I'm hoping to nail this down a bit before I take the car in to the shop. I guess I'm hoping for the off chance that someone will recognize this and tell me this is a common problem that has a simple fix.
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

wretched

Have you replaced the battery in this car yet? If it was me I would look at the battery first, Alternator second and maybe third a faulty ground...

I would check the battery voltage first if its old. Unfortunately a new battery has to be registered at the dealer. Did you replace the battery recently yourself by any chance?

Zahnarzt

The battery was replaced by my independent ship about 9 months, and they were able to register it with the computer. I'm lucky that they have a GT-1 computer.

It looks like a corroded ground was to blame, as once fixed, I haven't had the problem since, and we're going on 2+ months now. Very happy at the prospect that I might be in the clear at 105,000 miles!

wbmunroe

My vehicle has the very same problem. It flashes a complete reboot, speedometer flickers back to Zero then back to current speed I am traveling, and I get the DSC/ABS, and sometimes Tire Pressure warnings. Where did you locate the bad wire/ground? I have been trying to pinpoint this for a few weeks now. It happens more frequently during/after rain.

Zahnarzt

Man, I really don't recall. It was under the hood somewhere where water had access to it. I believe it was around the washer fluid reservoir. I gave up and my independent mechanic found it. Good luck!