Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Digital roundel is appallingly terrible - PLEASE do a real solution

Discussion in 'Roundel Magazine' started by Bimmzorz, May 8, 2012.

Bimmzorz Some guy with some stuff

I don't care if it's iPad newsstand based, kindle reader, whatever, but the iMirius platform is awful to the point of unusable. And I really need an offline solution as my Roundel reading is virtually always en route traveling without consistent online access. In this day and age all the tools are there to do this easily and the platform providers are practically begging for you to give them content which they can deliver in a secure way. PLEASE ditch that horrible 2003-era-technology stuff and get current - what you have now is absolutely useless to me and I expect a lot of other readers.

MGarrison

I would call the printed Roundel magazine the perfect offline solution, but you're not alone in calling for a different electronic version than the current offering.

Sure but I mean digital-offline obviously. I love the hard copy but for me the hard copy often comes when I'm traveling on business for weeks at a time so I miss it, then I have to haul heavy paper editions around (and often stale editions since it's taken so long for me to get my hands on), when I have a great technology for really great reading experience that is with me at all times (aka iPad although a Kindle would be fine too...) The Economist in the iPad Newstand for instance works great.... Kindle software or hardware version is a great reader...

eReaders mean you can get the latest edition in a quick download no matter where you are and can read it anywhere...

wretched

It was really nice when we could download a pdf version. What about a CCA iOS app? Download and store copies to read and even search! Then they can still keep their precious DRM...
    • Staff

executive director

We are working on an electronic version of Roundel that will be deliverable to your portable reader. However, it turns out to be neither simple or inexpensive. The obvious challenge is choosing the correct provider who can produce and present a version of the magazine that everyone will enjoy and can easily read on multiple platforms.

The cost of doing it right is not inconsequential. Doing cost effectively will get the job done, but you probably won't like what you get. Magazines like the Economist have enormous budgets and can spend millions independently developing software that wows and wins fans. The downside is that they seldom recoup that investment. While they can absorb those expenses we cannot, not even on a smaller scale.

Its clear from what I am reading above that if we do not deliver exactly what you want, in the format you want that you will not be pleased. To do so is going to require time and money and when we do finally deliver I am certain that we will still have failed to satisfy everyone.

Please be patient. We are working on it.

Frank
    fastfahrter likes this.

[liked].

Thanks for the frank reply Frank. I do look forward to seeing what you can come up with given and fully understanding pragmatic constraints. Needless to say hopefully sooner than later - what it comes down to for me is if I had an eVersion, I'd read it more, read it sooner, and be (even) more happy w/ my membership and more likely to be active w/ the club... Right now (granted in part due to my personal work/life requirements) paper magazines just are a bit anachronistic. And reading paper magazines late, as I always end up doing w the paper, always makes you feel a bit behind and out of the conversation - why bother sending a letter or email for instance commenting on something when you're late too the party. The paper printing+mail delay is bad enough but then my personal situation makes it even harder to process the paper...

Look forward to seeing something though. BTW didn't mean to say you had to do something extremely elaborate and sexy - really I don't mind even if its just PDF-esque aka flat page reader vs being menu/app style, as long as I can get the content. Frankly I'd LOVE just to have a PDF link emailed to me every month right now, that would be great, but although its a bit frustrating I do also understand the thinking around not having unlocked PDF downloads...

Good luck and you have my permission to allocate as much of my dues to this effort as you need! ;^)

JC
    • Staff

executive director

JC,

We get it and we really want you to have the best experience within the club that we can provide. I am hopeful that before this year ends we can offer up an online version that will be pleasing to virtually everyone.:)

Frank

dave.mackey

I disagree. A user-friendly e-version of Roundel may result in the next generation of members. The current solution is a turn off, particularly compared with the outstanding print edition. Content is king! You own the content and it should be possible to find a vendor with cutting-edge content publication services.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Of cour$e we can find a $uitable vendor, Dave! That'$ why we have $everal of our mo$t hip-and-with it moderni$ta$ looking into tablet application$. We're looking for the be$t po$$ible platform with the broade$t po$$ible appeal---but we al$o want to avoid bankruptcy.

wretched

Frank thinks we are all Fickle!

$atch i$ $illy...

No comment on the .pdf version that is a simple and easy way to distribute to a platform that exists already everywhere on everything? It just also happens to be a format many want since it is so easy to use in iBooks <--- I know I know, beating the horse after it's dead...

So is the plan a tablet only version? If so what os? iOS, Android or Windows? Will iOS be first? Any plans for a iPhone version?
    • Staff

executive director

@ Dave...Actually I think we agree! :) An on demand electronic version of Roundel is the way forward and its what both current and future members want. It is important and we want to do it right. Our intent is to deliver a version on iPad, iPhone (though God knows my tired old eyes won't be able to read it :(), Android phone and Android tablet.

We are working on it! More to come!!!

Frank

pstrick

So why is PDF not an option? I looked through the past threads and didn't really see a concrete reason. The only reference I saw was to PDF being redistributable. This is a problem why? I would imagine that being able to give a coworker or friend who has a BMW the latest copy may help persuade him or her to join. It's no different than giving them you paper copy after you've read it. I did see one comment in a thread from someone with a Staff tag that it wasn't their decision. Well, this is a member run club is it not? Can we have a vote on it?
    • Staff

executive director

PDF's do not present in a way that conveys the same quality and standards that our members expect and demand from Roundel.

sunnyandrich

"Frankly I'd LOVE just to have a PDF link emailed to me every month right now, that would be great, but although its a bit frustrating I do also understand the thinking around not having unlocked PDF downloads..."

+1

wretched

On the iPad the Imirus thingy will not display clear text anymore when you zoom in. Its very distorted! Unreadable now very disappointed.

clgood

Maybe there have been recent changes. I just downloaded the iPad app and it seems okay. Good enough to make me want to turn off the print edition. But I can't find how to do that anywhere on the site. Maybe it's there but just hidden from esoteric search terms like "roundel print" and "roundel unsubscribe".

Anybody know how to stop the dead trees version?

Thanks.

Yes this all applies to the horrible old version of an online eDoc they used.

The new system w subscriptions via the iOs newsstand is exactly what they should have done so well done Club. Theres a few weird quirks about it but mostly its great especially how you can go grab old issues you misses reading in full. I am 98.9% satisfied and fully recommend this new setup...
    • Staff

steven s

You may need to wait until the last tree is standing.
    There are no plans for an opt out. Not like people haven't asked. ;)