Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Console Compartment light

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by tbdbitl, Apr 3, 2012.

tbdbitl

The other night I came home and after I got inside the house, I realized I had forgotten something I had stashed in the compartment between the seat backs in my 2007 E85 Z4. I went back out to the dark garage, and could see light coming out from gaps in the door. I stopped to look to see if the door switch had become jammed, or dislodged, but I couldn't find one. Since then it seems that when I am out at night driving, and I turn my head to the right to check for traffic, the light coming from the compartment catches my eye. At first I was worried about the drain on the battery, but it seems to be on a timer, and goes off a few minutes after the ignition is turned off.

This has all been somewhat confusing, because this is the second Z4 I have owned (the first was a 2003), and I have not noticed it in almost 9 years of ownership - I like to think I am more observant than that. Am I correct in my analysis of the situation - that there is no on/off switch in the compartment, and yes, the lights turn off after a few minutes, and thus no danger to the battery.

Makes me want to check up on the light in my refrigerator now!

Thanks in advance.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I often sit in my Z4 waiting for all the lights to go out. So far I haven't been able to catch them staying on. Now, my refrigerator. . .

tbdbitl

When we bought our first house, we needed a refrigerator - the budget only allowed for a used one. We got it home, plugged it in, and over the next few days noted that while it froze water well in the freezer, the refrigerator never got below 50. One night I was walking through the kitchen with the lights out, and noticed a glow coming from the seals on the door - the light was indeed not going out, and the heat from the light bulb was enough to keep the temperature up about 10 degrees. We found that the on/off plunger for the lights was not making contact with anything; some tape and cardboard cured that, and ever after we had a cold refrigerator.

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Dial in Sport Plus on "Fun O Meter", Pull the DCT into Sport Mode & Extend right foot forward.
    Warning, this exercise can be habit forming. Satch, you are correct, this Bee does come with an "A" Game.

shipkiller

The center console compartment indeed does have a switch to turn off the light when the door is closed. There is a small tab on the lower edge of the door that engages this switch.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

You mean there's a LIGHT IN THE CENTER CONSOLE?!