Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rear View Mirror Reflection Problem

Discussion in 'E36/8 Z3 M coupe (1998-2003)' started by nkwoolf, Apr 15, 2012.

nkwoolf

I expect a 2000 M roadster to develop some problems, but this one seems unique. My rear view mirror looks like some fluid has run out of it and there is a distinct (wavy) line separating the top half from the bottom: the bottom half is now quite dark and the top is light. You can still see a reflection out the back, but it is very annoying. I suspect it is somehow related to the brightness control that becomes active at night. Has anyone heard of this before? Is there a fix, or if there is none can someone suggest a source where I can get a good used replacement rear view mirror? Thanks for any help!

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

nkwoolf

THANKS! That is the situation exactly. I've written to your contact, and I hope they still offer the service. Does anyone know a good source for used parts for 2000 M Roadsters? I'm sure I will need other "bits and pieces" as time goes on.

FYI: My last major work was replacement of the plastic detent piece that prevents accidental shifts up to fifth gear. The piece only cost $1, but I had to drop the transmission to get to it! The fun of loving an older car.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Heh. So you consider a 2000 model to be "an older car"? Do I have to stop rallying my '69 Saab Sonett?

By the way, I think your mirror lost its Reflection Fluid!
    • Staff

steven s

For genuine BMW parts I like http://www.getbmwparts.com although http://www.penskeparts.com has good prices also.

I wonder if blinker fluid would work?
    http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22

nkwoolf

GOOD NEWS! I sent my interior rear view mirror to Radar-Mirror.com and (for $99.00 plus $10 shipping) I got it back in less than a week. It looks and works like new, including the bright light dimmer function. And they guarantee it for one year. Highly recommended as an alternative to a MUCH more expensive new replacement mirror (if you can find one)!

Note that the Z3 M roadster has an oval interior mirror, not the normal (pun intended) square mirror shown on their website, so removal is different than their nicely illustrated instructions. For the M, there is just a narrow stem connecting the mirror to the windshield, and access to the electrical connector is inside the rear facing stem cover. Easy removal and installation!

RE: "Old car." Satch, I LOVE this 2000 M roadster with 60K miles. After a LONG history going back to the 1960's with British sports cars (e.g., Lotus, Austin Healey, Triumph, etc.), this car is a dream. I get in it, turn the key, and it always starts! This car runs and drives like new. The style, power, handling, and even the sound is fantastic. But let's be honest. The problem is that, at 12 years old, the weakness of the plastic "bits and pieces" that BMW saved a few bucks on during manufacturing are beginning to reveal themselves. As I mentioned above, for want of a cheap $2.00 plastic detent piece in the transmission that prevents accidental up-shifts into 5th gear, I had to drop the whole transmission to replace it. At 60K miles? I did ask the regional supervisor for some financial assistance (i.e., good customer relations discount), but got none since it is "long out of warranty". Oh well! I'll just keep on enjoying it, while fervently hoping that the next plastic piece that fails is not so difficult to get at.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I hear you, brother! The Z4 has a design flaw in that tall people will quickly wear a hole in the fuzzy plastic crap on the backs of the seats (yes, I let other people drive the car. . . it is NOT something that happened when I was in the seat!).

By the way, do NOT follow the link above to the KaleCo site---this link: http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22---unless you have half an hour to waste laughing. Spark plugs..." WHAH!