Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Hardly new

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by gassywynd, Apr 5, 2012.

gassywynd

Been a member since the late nineties but let membership lapse and now back again. I also actively volunteer for the Festorics event except for two years. Liking the "new" site but I don't think I've logged on since the nineties, so I could be wrong.
    I have a 95 M3, my first bimmer, and she's always been looked after by Edge Motorworks. The love for my bimmer was re-kindled mid last year which involves going hands-on with maintenance and upgrade work. Well I've never worked on any BMW, so I had to start expanding my collection of tools not to mention replacing lost tools and missing sizes from sockets and wrenches. Now these are all just your basic mechanics tools. I also had to buy an array of BMW specialized tools. I told myself that this is fine, i'll buy something new when I have extra funds to burn. Come time to renew my tags and a smog test was required, my baby failed the test for the first time. Also my cooling system was giving me problems again. Oh, did I forget to mention 2 small oil leak in the front and the rear of the block. My last visit from Edge was in Feb. of 2011 and they mentioned a small oil leak coming between the head and the block where #6 cylinder is. So I knew thats the leak from the rear. The second was my transmission cooler lines where the metal meets the rubber to the cooler. Noticed that when i had to reduce speed or come to a stop and accelerate hard, there would be a feeling of hesitation in the first gear to engage. And when it does a thug noise and jerking happens before any moving. Book suggest it is the lack of transmission oil, and that made me look closer in the tranny lines. So there it is, my first DIY project. Started in Sept 2011 and still on going. She is currently up on jacks. Drained of oil and coolant. Cooling system removed, intake manifold removed, hoses to cylinder head removed, including electrical connections like sensors are disconnected or removed, battery connected to a sustainer to maintain it's "juice". Flywheel locked with the special tool in TDC position. Will buy the camshaft holding tool next but unfortunately not the camshaft removal tool. Meanwhile cleaning the parts I took off until the holding tool is on hand. As far as removing the camshafts, I have to take the riskiest way. And to keep track of all these work, I take lots of before and after photos with explanation and upload them on Facebook. I can't afford to loose any records of what I've done if I kept it on paper.
    Whoop! There it is! Introduction and what's current with me. Sorry if it's too long. :)
    [IMG]

MGarrison

The Pelican Parts website shows the camshaft removal tool as temporarily unavailable - have you asked them what it costs and if they make them up as they get orders? If they're made as ordered vs. in a batch, perhaps it's worth the inquiry. You might want to see if anyone in your chapter has the tool and would be willing to let you borrow/rent it. I think I've heard before of some chapters purchasing specialized tools and renting them to members - worth asking, anyway.

Big project - good luck!
    gassywynd likes this.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Ah, but worth all the effort, I think. After all, that's an S50 engine!
    gassywynd likes this.

gassywynd

Thanks MGarrison. I will do that, on both suggestions. I am making my 2nd parts list I wanted to order from Pelican and I do have a few questions regarding hoses and clamps for water and vacuum, so i'll be calling them for info and i'll ask about the removal tool.
    Also will try asking our chapter officers if they have it and how much to rent. I truely didn't want to rush taking the cams off especially wityhpout the proper tool.

gassywynd

I think you're right about that Satch. At least for me it is well worth it. Not only that I look good in my M3, I can also brag that I can do minor and major (semi) work on her. Well that is when and if I can put her back together and running. You know the feeling, right?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Indeed! I'm always a little nervous when I dive in, but elated when a plan comes together! (Sometimes the predicted schedule goes rather awry, of course...)