Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Need help with 1991 E34 M5 Suspension

Discussion in 'E34 M5 (1991-1993)' started by jafeder, Mar 28, 2012.

jafeder

I need advice. I have a 1991 BMW M5 with Dinan Stage 1 suspension. I need to get an alignment. I called Dinan and asked what they would run for camber/toe/caster. Below is what they told me.
    Suspension Specifications

E34 Chassis 5-Series (M5)

Tire Pressures:

Front 34 lbs.
    Rear 31 lbs.
    Sway Bars:

Front Full Soft
    Rear Full Stiff

Shock Settings:
    · · Front ¾ of a turn from full soft
    · · Rear ¾ of a turn from full soft

NOTE: All Dinan Suspension Alignments Are Done With Full Fuel Tanks And No Weight Inside The Vehicle

Stage 1 and 2:

Front:

Tol.

Camber

-0.7°

± 0.5°

Caster

7.9°

± 0.5°

TotalToe

0.30°

± 0.08°

Rear:

Camber

-1.7°

± 0.5°

TotalToe

0.42°

± 0.12°

I showed this to my buddy and he felt these numbers were really weird. So, I'm coming to you guys to ask for advice. Do the above numbers sound really weird for a 1991 BMW M5 with Dinan Stage 1 suspension?

The car is mainly run on the street. I live in Portland, OR and frequently take it up into the hills and run it hard. It'll maybe see one or two fun track days a year, but no racing.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

What exactly is weird about them, did he say?

jafeder

Not really. But I ended up getting this resolved. Not sure if I'm supposed to delete this thread or not. But appreciate the response.

BimmerFan

I have a question about the SLS for my '91 M5. Other than the fact that they are expensive to replace, what would some reasons/advantages be for removing them and installing regular shocks? I am all for keeping the SLS in place. Suggestions?

MGarrison

I don't know all the particulars of the system, I presume the main advantage would be cost savings over maintaining a complicated system that may be finicky and difficult to keep functional, becomes problematic with age, and has expensive parts. Matter of perspective though, if you like it, keep it, just find out what you can so you know what you're in for.