Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

It's good to be home...

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by dma0413, Mar 10, 2012.

dma0413

When I was 19, I bought an 1994 E36 325i. It was the coolest car among my group of friends at the time. The car cost me $8000 with 100k on it and it had a salvaged title. I didn't care. It had a straight six and a stick shift. I thought it was the coolest thing on the road. I drove it until it had almost 200 k on it and finally only got rid of it when I wrecked it.
    Since then I've had everything from a Jeep to an A4. I never got over my bimmer though. I recall researching for weeks what the funny blue badge was next to the license plate when I got it. When I found out it was a bmwcca medallion I immediately joined and found the community to be amazing.
    At age 30 now, I've found myself selling that A4 and in the position to buy another car. So, I got myself an 08 m3,4dr, 6speed. First thing I did was come back here and order my membership. All I can say is it's good to be back home boys.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Welcome to the asylum! Your room is ready---it's the one with the padded walls! :D

dma0413

Ha! Gracias Satch....

wellardmac Ninja World Traveler

Welcome home! We have the same car! What color? Photos?

brucembergeron

Good to have you back. How would you compare your A4 and M3?

dma0413

Hey Well!, good to be here. I posted a couple of pics for ya, nothing good just one that I took with my iPhone and one from the pre-purchase inspection. Its the silverstone metallic. I really like the color but I notice you have the interlagos blue which is my FAVORITE color. So jealous!!! Trade ya!!

Attached Files:

dma0413

Bruce, the A4 was a 1.8T so obviously the power difference is night and day. A couple of things I have noticed though. The M feels tighter all around. Shifting, revving, that differential (which I may never get used to), are just a couple things that seem to have a different overall feel. The Audi was incredibly reliable, but boring and underpowered even for a small car. The M is balanced, poised on the road and provides a level of refinement I didnt expect for a car with so much power. I expected a much harsher ride for something with that level of performance. Its kind of like I am in a LazyBoy with rocket power. ITs really amazing. So far its lived up to the hype. Big shout out to the fellas at Hilton Head BMW too. The car was immaculate when I drove down from Charlotte to get it.

drummerfc

Ahhhh, home...

In '96 I leased a wonderful 1996 328is coupe, black with light grey interior, 5 speed stick, wonderful ride. In '99 the lease was up and instead of buying the car, I went searching for "home" in other "areas"...3 years with a '99 Chrysler 300m (nice, roomy, well-appointed car but NO BMW), 2.5 years with a '98 Volvo C70 Convertible (do the letters P.O.S. describe my experience with this "car" sufficiently enough? :D), and @3 years with a 2000 Infiniti i30t (loved this car...roomy, loaded, good, strong running engine but STILL no BMW).

Finally in '08 I returned "home" myself, when I found my '02 E39. Joined this "asylum" shortly after that. Ain't leaving again, God willing!! :p

Nice car! I haven't seen a Silverstone car up close, but it always looks nice in photos. No matter what the color, the E90 M3 is a beauty. Good to have another one in the club!

Where are you based? Any chance of running into you at a BMW driving event?

dma0413

I'm in Charlotte. How can I find out about driving events though. Id love to hit the road with some members.

I'm in Apex, NC. I tend to watch the BMW events page, as well as bimmerforum, m3forum, m3post and nceuros for events. I can't say there are a large number of them, but there are some. There are some good events at the BMW Performance driving center, I'll be attending one of those next month and am looking forward to it.

I really want to find a good back road drive, so that we can go out and play.

brucembergeron

Guys, the Tarheel Chapter looks pretty active. Web site link: http://www.tarheelbmwcca.org/index.html

The best way for me to get on track and meet folks interested in cars, motorcycles, and driving was through our local chapters. If you haven't attended any Tarheel events, I suggest you do ASAP. Don't wait.

Depends on what kinds of activities you're looking to attend.... Life is old for people that like the track. Not so good for others.

AugustneverEnds 1988 325iS, 1989 750iL

Bravo!! BMW engineering defeats Audi marketing :D
    • Staff

steven s

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Maybe it's just me, but I can't for the life of me figure out what this means...:eek:

dma0413

I'd love to get the car out on a track but I am admittedly intimidated by the whole situation.
    • Do I need experience?
    • Even if I don't will there be others there of my same experience level?
    • How do I ensure I really don't damage my car? (Before anyone gets on me, I realize the thing is meant to be driven, and hard, but I want to be reasonable about it. Not completely void the CPO warranty, etc.)
    • How do I know I am going to a good event and not a bunch of hacks opening the gate to let a group of lead foots out for a rip?
    I want to be among people who know what they are doing. I've heard horror stories of bad track day events that are disorganized with car owners getting pretty discouraged and never doing it again. As bad as I want to do it, I would hate to have a really negative first experience. Mostly, I am looking to toe the line here. Once a year, a track day would be a dream come true. Most of the time, I would just like to take my M and my girl out on the road for a little joy ride with some like minded enthusiasts.

dma0413

• Staff

steven s

You already have experience. Just need the desire to drive better.
    Students are assigned run groups based on experience. Typically you would be in a novice run group.
    While things can happen, aside from mechanical issues and debris on track you will be driving within your comfort level. Other cars can only pass when YOU tell them it's OK with a point by signal.
    BMW CCA events are good events. They run a tighter event than some other organizations.

Hard to say about warranty. I would not be the type of person to expect BMW to cover replacement of brakes and rotors due to track use although there are some who do. You are going to wear parts out quicker. Namely brake pads and tires.

You can also get supplemental insurance which would shield you from your primary insurance company.

dma0413

Thanks Steven, great information. I'm gonna check out upcoming events! Supplemental insurance is key. That would really give me some peace of mind.