Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Trying to decide if I should go with Ultra High Performance all season tires on my E90 328i w/Sport

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Pnesburg, Mar 18, 2012.

Pnesburg

I have a 2010 328i w/ Sport Pkg and it is time for me to get some new tires. I live in Minnesota and have been in the habit of putting on my snow tires in November and taking them off in late March. I would like to get some more time on my street tires so I am thinking that if I use All Seasons (some people call them no seasons) I should be able to get a couple of additional months per year on them vs only summer tires. I am considering the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Can anyone help me with my decision?

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Don't know if it helps, but I have just put Pilot Super Sports on my e46 325iT for the summer. The Blizzaks came off earlier than usual this year due to weather - the rubber compound grinds off the Bizzaks faster in 50+ temps and with some long trips ahead, I did the change over last weekend.

I had my OEM Wheels restored over the winter and decided to try the Pilot SS as my summer tire this time.

After a week of street driving, I like their responsiveness. They are pretty quiet too. They do make the ride a bit more nervous than the less agressive tires I've had before, but with Sport Pack suspension on the car, I want my car to feel alive and connected to the road. Have not had them in the rain yet.

Pnesburg

Thanks Chris, It is helpful. My other concern is that I have 255/40 R17s in the rear and this size does not come in the Super Sports. So I would have to change to a 245/40 instead. Don't think that would be an issue, but something else I am considering.

Pnesburg

Here are the specs on the all-season tire that I am considering. Y speed rating

225/45ZR17
    91Y SL 500 AA A 1356 lbs. 51 psi 10/32" 24 lbs. 7-8.5" 7.5" 8.9" NA 25" 833 US
    255/40ZR17
    94Y SL 500 AA A 1477 lbs. 51 psi 10/32" 26 lbs. 8.5-10" 9" 10.2" NA 25" 831 US

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Actually, downsizing to the 245s in the rear would put you closer to square, and should reduce understeer a little. . .

I too live in Minnesota and I would not dream of using all seasons. #1, they are not that good in the snow and #2 you will not be happy with the summer performance. I push my summer tires, which are fairly extreme, until I absolutely need to swap them. I have a set of Blizzaks on separate wheels and I change them myself with a floor jack, takes about an hour. If you want more detail about my set up please del free to email.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I think the question is not about snow but about getting longer wear from a summer hi-performance tire. Having driven the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season in rainrainrainrainrain (Seattle), I can tell you that it sticks like crazy in the wet, probably better in the dry---and it has, like, a 45,000-mile tread-wear warranty.

Click here to see a hilarious video they made to promote this tire. All the journalists wanted a copy of the video!