Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

K&N Air Filters

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by rich235, Aug 10, 2011.

rich235 guest

Anyone have experieince with these "washable" air filters?

Are they worth the initial cost?

Do they clean up after a few years of use?

Thanks

rich235 guest

RE

Thanks, I miss the old software, and the resources also. Whoever bought this new setup, in my opinion messed up.

I wasn't looking for performance in horsepower but quality and longevity. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks on a part if its a quality product that lasts and performs better than its predecessor.

Thanks

pyao88

MGarrison

Yes - no maf sensor wires on

Yes - no maf sensor wires on the 80's-era bimmers to get gummed up from air-filter oil. Didn't seem to be an issue with the older barn-door air-flow meters.

MGarrison

Age old question, although we

Age old question, although we don't have our old posts to refer to here on these new forums. I think the opinion spectrum runs the gamut - some will argue passionately that they're less than pointless, and you'll also find fans.

Speaking for myself, I haven't experienced any downsides using a K&N with my E30, but no remarkable upside either. They clean up fine, but should be cleaned at least once a year. I'd be skeptical of particular horsepower claims - I doubt one can tell much difference if they get a 2hp bump by any means. As far as particular performance/hp gains, that would only go as far as your car's engine tuning is capable of exploiting an airflow increase. The stock tuning may have a bit of headroom that could show a hp increase on a dyno, but you probably would be unlikely to feel it much sitting in the car seat. Some have mentioned an increase in intake noise.

psmith27616

I heard the same about K&N that it messes up the MAF so it was suggested to me not to use one because of that...So I will not...but I will say that they do work fine in other vehicles that I have had as they do clean up well..

shipkiller

meteck

I've actually seen more bad things than good.

maxnix

K&N don't filter as well, and putting an oiled element in an engine's intake path is not the wisest thing to do.

Use OEM and annual/12K mile changes.