Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tire/wheel shop recommendations in or near Fairfield County, CT?

Discussion in 'Connecticut Valley Chapter' started by brian5, Feb 17, 2012.

brian5

I have my X5's wheels+tires changed every summer and winter. I've had mixed experiences with the local dealership and with local wheel/tire shops.

I have now bought a set of used wheels+tires. Soon, I will need to get the TPMS monitors replaced, wheels balanced and hub adapters put on the rear wheels (for the summer). I have all the parts.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to a good shop that I can take my X5 to every 6 months to have a quality job done on the wheel changing etc.?

Thanks

MGarrison

Are your used wheels and tires replacing your current set, or are they destined to be one of the seasonal sets of wheels? If what you've gotten are to be one of the seasonal wheel/tire sets, I'd think you'd save time, money, and perhaps some hassle by buying an additional set of sensors for the new-to-you wheels, and not having to go through/pay to have the tires swapped on/off the rims twice a year. I don't know if the hub adapters present much of a problem, but that approach would allow you to swap the wheels yourself if you were so inclined, although you'd need jack stands, a jack, a torque wrench, and a breaker bar as basic wheel-swapping tools.

Otherwise, I'm not in your area, but you might check your local chapter website for area contacts or local message forums.

brian5

I have two set of wheels and tires for my X5.
    1. staggered 20" style 214 with RFT snow/ice tires (on truck right now)
    2. staggered 20" style 336 with RFT summer tires. These came off a 2011 X6 which means that a) I have to replace the TPMS monitors with older ones and b) I have to install hub adapters on the rears. (I have these TPMS monitors and hub adapters).

So I'm just looking for recommendations for a shop that will do a decent job of changing TPMS monitors (once), installing/removing hub adapters every 6 months, changing the wheels every 6 months, installing new tires when I need them, balancing the wheels, etc. My local dealership and other local tire shops have shown that cannot be relied upon to do a decent job.

I have even considered doing these wheel changes myself but once I've purchased the jack, jack pad adapter for X5, lug wrench, torque wrench, wheel chock, wheel hanger lug stud, etc., that cost would cover a multitude of wheel changes.

I have asked for this sort of advice on multiple forums and it was suggested that I ask on this forum as there are likely to be some CT members who have recommendations...

MGarrison

brian5

Thanks! Yes, I have reviewed the Tire Rack installer reviews. I've actually used two of the top recommended installers in my area (and may end up using one of them again). Neither seemed particularly approachable, knowledgeable or did enough with "imports" (I know the X5 is USA-made).

Only use Facebook for family but will consider that option too.

dma0413

Hey Brian, although I live in Charlotte now, I was born and raised in New Haven. Lucky for me my girlfriend lived across the street from a great tire shop in Milford. It's called Alarcon. I'd been there a few times for repairs and once to get tires for her car. They seem knowledgeable and honest. Hope that helps.

brian5

Thanks. I'll make a note of Alarcon. I know a lot of people in Charlotte and go down there frequently for business...

I actually bought X6 wheels (style 336) for my summer set. So I had to search to find a place to bore out the rear wheel hubs so they would fit the E70 X5. Found a place in Rochelle, NY that did it. Proformance Industries. They did a good job; only thing was that it just took weeks for them to do it and then to make time for me to schedule install.

lcjhnsn

Brian, you might also try posting your question in the CVC Facebook page. There may be more folks there that can give you some recommendations. https://www.facebook.com/groups/104774723119/

AutoTechnic in New Milford is a good general purpose Indy BMW shop in the area. There are probably several others I'm not aware of since I'm on the opposite end of the State.