Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Diesel Exhaust Fluid

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by cbm3, Aug 12, 2010.

cbm3 guest

I'm on a long road trip at high altitude and thought I should get some def for my x535d just in case. Can't find it anywhere online. Does anyone know if the rumors I've seen that Audi, VW, MB and BMW all use the same bottle and chemical are true? Can I just buy some at the local VW dealer where I am? There's no bmw dealer nearby. Or can I buy a two and a half gallon bottle at a truck stop and refill with that in a pinch? I don't have a warning light now, just trying to be prepared for when i'm 1000 miles from nowhere and it runs low.

ForcedInduction guest

My understanding - and I have not confirmed this, is that VW/Audi, BMW and M-B all use different strength formulas and that you can not use the incorrect strength. Hopefully another member has their Owner's Manual handy and can confirm or refute this info. :(

bcweir

Forced Induction is right. You have to buy the BMW version.

Using an incompatible formulation could damage your engine and it could void your warranty.

I did find out that Bavarian Autosport sells the stuff.

From what I heard, you have to replenish it every 15,000 miles. Bavarian Autosport sells a 2.5 gallon jug of the stuff for $26.95. you can order it online at http://www.bavauto.com.

By the way I double checked and Bavarian Autosport part number Part # : 83 19 0 440 158 is compatible with your vehicle.

az3579

What on earth is exhaust fluid? Is it anything like blinker fluid? :confused:

eam3

They're talking about the ammonia based urea solution that allows the cars to run so clean. I'm sure the BMW pricing scheme is outrageous but the Bavarian Auto price does not seem bad at all.

granthr

This is the urea formula to clean the exhaust in the new diesels. I say hot wire the sensor so you don't need to worry about it. Oops I guess I can't say that, that would be illegal. :eek: :D

Although, the car is probably too smart, if you hot wire it, you would probably have all kinds of other issues. My friend has an 09 328xi and he tried to hot wire the seat belt warning system so it doesn't beep when he is not wearing his belt. (I know he should be wearing it!!) Well he hot wired it and he pretty much lit his dash up like a christmas tree!!! All the warning lights came on. He then tried to fix it himself and that didn't work. The dealer had to put in that section of the wring harness to get it back to normal. Just another reason to drive an E30!!!!! :D

Zeichen311

Not to mention a whole lot of other adjectives I won't toss in your direction. We're talking about 30 bucks every 10-15,000 miles or so. An oil change on these cars can easily double that. Running a couple of bottles of Techron through a gasoline-powered car in the same period costs about the same. So where's the problem?

Your friend got what he deserved. You're right about the E30: If you want to live in the past, drive a car from the past--don't try to fool a modern one. :rolleyes:

granthr

The problem is that it disables the car!!!!! That is BS, especially since the exhaust is cleaner than a fart to begin with! Pun intended. :cool:

New cars have too many nannies in them and I would venture that they are not saving any lives. Not that we need more people in this world or anything. :)

listerone guest

I've researched this subject thorughly and I found that DEF simply has to meet a set industry wide standard (ISO 22241-1) to be used in our BMW diesels.Also,there are many sources of this fluid...the most convenient one (IMO) is most,if not all,VW dealerships.A few months ago I bought a 0.5 gallon (1.89 litre) bottle of DEF at a VW dealership near me for $8.This bottle has the special spout that's required to fill a BMW.I've tried this bottle to see if the spout,etc,is correct and it worked like a charm.Also,the same VW dealer had a 2.5 gallon jug of DEF for $13 but it didn't have the special spout.

railroader guest

Good info, listerone. I can add that even at my "official" BMW Center parts counter, the regulation/approved half gallon bottle (with the special filler spout) was only about $19. I keep it handy just in case, but no indicator calling for it yet. The words "BMW Group" are printed on the label and there is a shelf life of five years from the manu. date stamped on the bottle.
    DEF is a small concession -- for having such an amazing car!:cool: Just look at some of the posts about the "d" cars here and all through the Internet. Most of the "d" owners here know exactly what I'm talkin' about, right guys?;)

cbm3 guest

Thanks to all for the info. I in fact ordered a bottle from bav auto, but they're out of stock so I may not get it in time before I make the 2000 mile journey home. Agree with all that cost is not a big deal for the huge benefits of this car. There is in fact a VW dealer near here so I think I'll pick up a bottle there. I read somewhere on the web that the bottles all have BMW, MB, Audi and VW part numbers and that then solution is the same. Will report back when I learn more. There is also a note in the manual that BMW fluid is preferred, but that alternatives may be used as long as they meet the AUS 35 standard (whatever that is). BTW, I checked out the filler hole today, the "special tool" is a plastic square wrench, but the filler cap comes off easily with your hand, so I don't really know why they bother with the tool, unless it's to stop people from figuring out they they don't need to pay the dealer to refill it between services. I was thinking that if I bought the 2.5 gallon bottle at a truck stop with a funnel, I could probably do it easily myself.

BMWCCA1

It shouldn't cost you anything to have your DEF replenished on a BMW under the Maintenance Plan. And, even as nice as the guys at Bavarian Auto are, I doubt they can send you a bottle of liquid with a BMW part number on it for less than you can pick one up for at your local BMW center with your BMW CCA discount. In fact a quick check of the part number shows several dealerships selling it for $20 with suggested retail of $25.

cbm3 guest

My shipment from Bav Auto just arrived, so I'm set for my trip home just in case. Of course, I wasn't paying attention or I would have realized that I ordered a 2.5 gallon bottle, not the 0.5 gallon bottle with the filler neck. I couldn't figure out why the shipping confirmation said the packaged weighed 29 pounds. Anyway, thanks for the reference. Like with most things, now that I have it, I'm sure I won't need it. Not bad insurance for $30.

az3579

Be sure to fill up your blinker fluid before your trip home. It would suck if you ran out and couldn't signal the whole trip. :)

Peef

For what it's worth, I just picked up a bottle of DEF at the local VW dealership for $8. The bottle had BMW, VW/Audi and Mercedes-Benz part numbers on it.

OZme guest

DEF available at all pasrts stores now, $20. for 4 gallon case

This DEF or blue fluid only lasts about 10k mi for fill up. Unfortunately BMW will not fill it till you hit the 15k or 30k mi service. BMW service sucks so much:eek: in my book. suggest anyone with a diesel keep some in stock. The tool to open the reservoir is in your tool kit but I just twist it off with my hand.
    DEF Blue fluid generic available at all parts stores now, $20. for 4 gallon case. Just about all diesels now use this including Caterpillar, Ford, Chevy, VW, MB but make sure it's the same strength Urea percentage.It injects into your exhaust system so don't think it can harm your motor.

Pyewacket1

So, BMW service sucks because you have to add an expendable fluid on occasion, or is it something more than that?
    PIXLFIX likes this.

lkchris

WalMart has DEF