Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

The All-New 2013 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe.

Discussion in 'BMW NA News' started by BMW NA News, Dec 14, 2011.

BMW NA News guest

An exciting new addition to the 6 Series Line.

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – December 11, 2011 6:00 pm EST...
    Introducing the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe – a new four-door, 4+1 seat addition to the 6 Series line that successfully combines the stunning proportions, design and driving dynamics of the 6 Series Coupe with interior room and amenities for up to five passengers. Harmonious proportions, precise lines and sleekly contoured surfaces give the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe the unique ability to satisfy the driver who wants a luxurious and sporty coupe yet needs a car capable of carrying four adults in comfort and luxury. The BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe will be offered in three distinct models in the USA. The TwinPower Turbo 6-cylinder-powered 2013 BMW 640i Gran Coupe is the initial model and arrives early this summer. Later in the summer, the TwinPower Turbo V-8 powered 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe and the all-wheel drive 2013 BMW 650i xDrive Gran Coupe will join the range.

Sporting a length of 197 inches (5,007 mm) and wheelbase of 116.8 inches (2,968 mm), the Gran Coupe is 4.4 inches (111 mm) longer than its two-door coupe sibling. A significant part of this extra length has been used to enhance seating comfort for the rear passengers. The BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe is also 74.6 inches (1,894 mm) wide and stands 54.8 inches (1,392 mm) in height. For comparison purposes, the Gran Coupe is 4.0 inches (102mm) longer, 1.3 inches (34mm) wider and 2.8 inches (72mm) lower than the BMW 550i.

The BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe, in keeping with the tradition of the 6 Series Coupe, offers a unique combination of top-class sporting dynamics, stunning design, luxurious touring comfort and a 16.24 cu. ft (460-liter) DIN luggage compartment – now for four passengers. The BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe’s signature driving experience is complimented by a range of innovative driver assistance systems and BMW ConnectedDrive infotainment features. The new car therefore meets the highest expectations of driving pleasure and style in a large, premium 4-seat sports coupe.

Download the entire newsletter.

Continue reading...

MGarrison

Nice looking car, but umm.... for people who just have to spend more than a 5-series and maybe even as much or more than a 7, but wouldn't be caught dead in a 7, or for whom an M5 is just a wee tad-too-small, or for those who want a car about the same size as a 740i but want it to look a lot faster? Not sure who they're going after with this... the 30-somethings-with-a-family who are otherwise buying Maserati Quattroportes? I think it'll sell, but not sure that it will without cannibalizing some 7 and maybe 5er sales. Oh well... destined to do better than the 5er GT... saw one rolling the other day, and, unfortunately, from the rear 3/4 view, that is one ugly bimmer.
    • Staff

steven s

aztec.jpeg BMW Gran Turismo_thumb.jpg
    And people make fun of the 318ti hatchback and Z Coupes.

MGarrison

Neither of which are ungainly, awkward, or bulky; I've never had a problem with the styling of either.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

What market, you ask? Ever see one of Mercedes' four-door "coupes"?

AugustneverEnds 1988 325iS, 1989 750iL

I quite like the 6-Series. I generally prefer older body styles but for a modern car it has a purposeful enough poise and a bit of sophisticated menace. Obviously this car is very much a status-conscious, grand touring, technology packed showcase and customers shopping in this price bracket expect as much. At least BMW has the ability and courage to produce a true coupe as opposed to Mercedes' somewhat convoluted approach.