Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tools needed for oil change?

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Musikpro, Apr 28, 2008.

Musikpro guest

Hi... I'm got an 05 325i... What do I need for changing the oil?
    I've changed oil many times on many kinds of cars.. but this will be my first time on BMW.

az3579

Don't know how much more complicated your E46 is, but for me, I just need a socket wrench, the proper size socket, and a drain pan (or something to let the oil pour into). Other than that, you need nothing else other than the oil and oil filter. Maybe a funnel if you want to make pouring oil easier.

I just did my first oil change on Saturday. :D

MGarrison

az3579

Mine didn't come with a washer, just the filter. The local parts store probably won't include it. At least not the Purolator filter that some stores seem to stock.

johnh

You'll need a 17mm wrench for the oil drain plug. 36mm socket for the oil filter lid - loosen it first to let oil drain from filter housing into crankcase. Buy a filter from BMW (or OEM kit) - it will include a gasket/washer set. You'll need 7 quarts of oil - bmw 5w-30 synthetic or appropriate alternative, like mobil-1 0-40. you'll get lots of opinions on oil.
    You should get a Bentley repair manual - best for BMWs. You should torque the filter lid as specified. Don't over-tighten or cross thread oil pan plug - the pan is aluminum.

snikwad guest

Jeron guest

Oil drain plug and filter housing are two places I always grab a torque wrench. Be very careful on the drain plug not to over torque.

snikwad guest

i stopped torquing the filter cap to specs after the old one was shot and wouldnt stop leaking, i bought a new one and tightened it to about 12 or 15lb-ft, cant remember fully

swingwing

Oil Change

You need a 17mm wrench (or socket) for the drain plug, and a 36mm socket for the oil filter cap. Don't overtorque the drain plug - 18 lbs-ft,

BMW calls for 5W-30 synthetic; I like AMSOIL's 5W-40 European Car Formula.

Vic Sorlie
    '04 325xiT Sportwagon
    AMSOIL Dealer
    www.enduranceoil.net