Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Sound of crickets chirping

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by pinmagic, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

pinmagic guest

Boy, this place is quiet!

wretched

Sure is! Really miss the old forum already...

chvossler

Am hoping that they are still able to migrate all the old stuff over. Otherwise we gotta start typin!

Syrupflow guest

Old forum

Yeah. I liked the old forum better.

dmmai

Old Forums - to Archive ??

I'd be more than happy if the old forums can just be archived for access. Even if it's just a snapshot of the threads and maybe somewhat inconvenient, at least we wouldn't lose all that information / knowledge.

Let's hope.

CRKrieger

Not bloody likely.

I previously logged in and I could immediately see new messages and threads since my last login, regardless of the subforum. That no longer seems possible. I've already typed most of that stuff two or three times before. Frankly, I'm not too motivated to do it again just to make it fit into a sucky forum format. I won't be around much any more. If anyone really wants me, look in http://www.mye28.com.

MGarrison

The old site kept me logged in (musta beeen a cookie) - I bookmarked what would show the most recent posts - one click, and I could see everything, in one place all at once (usually one one page, unless I was afk for an extended period), that had been posted as new threads or replies. The new site is glacial compared to that... login is slow, page transfers and loads are slow....

Ahhh... for the good ol' days! Just like the dead parrot in the Monty Python skit, I guess I'm pining for the fields.......

granthr

CR and MGarrison finally found you guys in this mess. I really hope Satch/Frank fixes this. Hell Firefox doesn't catch my spelling mistakes in this program! :eek:( I live and die by those little red lines!

CR don't give up yet, we need to keep it interesting!!!!

I really wish I could put a signature and avator on here! :eek:(

MGarrison

Well, there's always ascii... :p

but, it only works if you set the reply box to wysiwyg... and it's still a pain, at that...

___________ ________ _
    / / / / | / / ___/ __ _________ (_) __ ___ __
    / / / / / | _ / / ( _ / _ ` / __/ __/ ( _-< / _ \ / _ \
    /__/__/__/__/ /__/ \___ / \__,_/_ / / _ / / _/ ___/ \ ___/_ / /_ /

If you have a post of any length, you'd better write it in a word processor or something else anyway...
    the site here will log you out with no warning after some amount of time (15 mins? 20? 10?), and when you click "save", you'll be thrown to the login
    screen, and if you click login, going back a page won't get you back to whatever you typed and were hoping to post.

Zeichen311

Sad...so sad.

Ahhh... for the good ol' days! Just like the dead parrot in the Monty Python skit, I guess I'm pining for the fields.......

That's "fjords," sir. smiley I, too, am pining. Or put another way, I'm not dead, just restin'. laugh

Satch SoSoCalifortified

The Zen crickets. . .

Just what IS the sound of a one-legged cricket chirping?!

eicarguy

wtf? Change is easy. Improvement is difficult.

such a pity...CR, I can't believe what's been lost. This is like pushing the boulder back up the mountain. Hope there's a friend at the top next time.

MGarrison

"such a pity...CR, I can't believe what's been lost. This is like pushing the boulder back up the mountain."

Perhaps we could interest you in a membership in the "Sisyphus Club of America"? You can pick up the membership application in the Department of Redundancy Department.

New forums apparently are coming, in a few months - we'll see if they offer comparable features to the old forums. Old forums apparently will be accessible, or an archive, or something, if you were lamenting the potential information loss there.

MGarrison

I think you're lookin' at it...

Although..... people can get used to anything... maybe it'll be like smashing one's toe with a hammer repeatedly... after everyone uses these forums for several months, we'll be so used to the pain we won't feel it anymore. I'm kinda numbing over already.... indecision

MGarrison

Jeez, can't reply to NTS's post directly...

anyway... here will do...

lol! :-D (that's about the only laugh I've gotten out of the new forums too, besides from some of Satch's corniness...!)

Fjords... ok, I'll stand corrected. I listened to the very funny "Live at Drury Lane" sketch on an album growing up long before ever seeing the TV series sketch, fjords sounds at least as much like fields in that performance.

fjords/fields line is at about 2:43...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbSAi3cmuYo

Not much difference in this version from "And Now For Something Completely Different" - line is at 1:56...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj8RIEQH7zA

Considering I had listened to the Drury lane bit countless times and seen the above a few times before having a video of the TV sketch, never sounded to me like it could be anything othe than fields.

The tv series sketch sounds more distinctly like fjords than the other two - line at 1:37

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218

It would appear they were less careful in their enunciation in later performances, perhaps. The Drury Lane version sounds like the funniest performance of that sketch, I wonder if that was filmed or audio only....

And now, back to our regularly scheduled kvetching.....!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.