Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

rust on X5 brake components

Discussion in 'E70 X5 (2007-2013)' started by jfranklin, Aug 14, 2011.

jfranklin guest

hi all..... I'm a new cca member and was looking for some feedback on this issue. i have a 2011 x5 with about 15k miles on it. i have a bad rust problem on the visible brake components. doing a simple google search shows lots and lots of x5 drivers have the same problem. what I want to know is: has anyone had any luck with their local dealer or bmw usa on resolving this issue? thanks. JF

CRKrieger

You can try sandblasting and

You can try sandblasting and painting your calipers and maybe the exposed parts of the disk hat, but it usually doesn't last long and it's pointless anyway. ALL cast iron brake parts rust. It is not a functional problem. It is what brake parts do. Live with it.

197952 guest

I see..

that Kreiger is his usual charming self......(rolling eyes)

I sandblasted and painted the rusting parts on my 01 330Ci due to the very same problem. I sold the car in 2006 to a friend and, when I saw him last (about a week ago), they still looked like new. I did use VHT paint.

cheers....

CRKrieger

This is merely an appearance

This is merely an appearance issue. BMW does not warrant or even suggest that your brake parts will maintain an appearance; only that they will function properly. What you do to make your brakes look different is your problem, not theirs. If you think this is an unreasonable position, consider that I might get upset because my rear axle and driveshaft continually get excessively dirty, as does the bottom of my engine and gearbox. I therefore demand that BMW do something about it. Is that reasonable?