Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Pillar Replacement

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by maxlfoster, Aug 9, 2011.

maxlfoster guest

Due to the summer heat in Texas, the A and C pillars in my coupe are starting to look old; the adhesive holding the fabric to the pillars has started to go (so the fabric is coming loose from the pillars in spots), and I have been told the replacement is pretty simple so I bought replacement pillars from the local dealer. The CCA discount came in handy because these weren't cheap.

The only thing I am worried about is making sure that removing the inserts on the A pillars (by the windshield) will not cause the airbags to deploy. Has anyone replaced these and have any advice on replacing these?

I am also curious how the C pillars will come off because the interior light fixtures are set in the middle of these. I have the clips but is do I have to remove any trim etc to properly remove the old pillars and install the replacements? I tried using some 3M adhesive but they look like crap so they need to go.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Max

197952 guest

C Piller Replacement Easy

I just replaced the left rear C Piller in my e46 M3 with a new one from the local dealer.

Make sure you use a set of nylon interior pry tools, not a screwdriver. Bavarian Autosport has a nifty set for under $20.00. Part number is ST 9007 .

I reused the old clips since they weren't damaged in any way, but you might want to have new set handy. You may break the clips from the light (not the light itself) on the back of the old panel but it won't hurt anything.

I used the "go-by" I found here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=535038&highlight=diy pillar

A-Piller instructions were buried in that thread as well.

All in all, a very easy job.

maxlfoster guest

Thanks; I had found that

Thanks; I had found that e46fanatics column but wanted to get another point of reference before I went out to the garage ripping panels away.

I replaced all four A and C pillars and they look fantastic--the interior looks brand-new now. It was a little difficult to wedge the edges in around the rear window rubber liner, but all-in-all an easy job--coming from someone with very little experience.

My only regret is that it wasn't so hot in the car (in my garage) when I was working because i ended up drenching all the seats in the car. I tried starting early in the morning but needed to go to home depot to replace some stripped screws...once the car was back in the garage with the engine warm it was brutal.

197952 guest

<chuckle>

I hear you on the heat, brother. I did the exact same thing but in the Deep South Heat and Humidity it made little difference. Your right about the the c-panel. It was a bit of effort to get the edges in.

Oh well, the leather seats needed conditioning anyways.....

Glad it worked out ok for you....