Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Right rear end looks lower

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by rich235, Jul 18, 2011.

rich235 guest

I have a 2003 325i and the right rear end of the car is little lower than the other side. Tires are fine but with rough measuring its about an inch lower. Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks

Arthur B Fisch

Reply to above

Rich235:

I am not a professional mechanic, but am restoring a 95 M3 and have a 04 325ci much like yours. My best guess, is the ride height is different in the back of the car, it can be only a couple of things......And my 1st guess is a bad coil spring. Why, not sure, but that would be my first guess. Bring it to someone who is good with suspension locally if no BMW dealership in the area.

abfisch
    • Staff

steven s

My E36 is like that

My E36 is like that too.

Once you sit in it, my guess is it will be fine.

This is probably why cars are weighted when you get an alignment.

MGarrison

I doubt a little variation is

I doubt a little variation is a big problem. I'm guessing the rear end's vertically positioned soley by the springs, so I wouldn't expect a blown shock mount to be an issue. I wouldn't expect spring pads to add up to that much thickness, even upper and lower combined, assuming there are both upper and lower spring pads. Look at both sides, compare them closely, and see if there are any noticeable differences.

rich235 guest

Thanks

I didnt mention earlier, but if I move the body up and down by hand, I get a squeak sound. You might be right it could be a spring. I will be checking. Thanks so much for your help.

rich235 guest

Squeak also

Thanks for the infor I'll inspect those items. Forgot to mention the car will squeak or eakkk when I lift it from the right rear wheel well body. Maybe its a broken spring, I heard they do break in these cars and BavAuto sells kits.

Thanks Again!

Rich