Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

325i Brake service

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by rich235, Jul 16, 2011.

rich235 guest

I have a 2003 325i with 43K miles and will need to do brake service soon. I was thinking of buying the BavAuto all wheel brake kit that comes with rotors and pads for about 350 dollars. Has anyone had any experieince with these kits?

I still have original rotors and pads and even though it went out, the brake service light came on. I have a manula transmission and brake lightly so I might get a few more miles out of them but would rather replace them soon.

Thanks.

John in VA

You could probably get away with just replacing pads...

and the pad wear sensors (on the left front and right rear), unless the rotors have worn thinner than specified/alowed run-out. This figure is found on the rotor, or in the Robert Bentley service manual.

You might consider bleeding your brakefluid if it has not been done in the past 2 years.

BavAuto sells good products and has been a great supporter of the club, but you can usually find the products less expensively. They have started a policy of price-matching, so do your homework

kuczewski

Bavarian autosport brakes

I have a bit of experiance with Bavarian autosports brakes, I replaced both front and rear pads and rotors on my son's 2000 328i with their cool carbon pads using drilled rotors in the front and standard rotors in the rear. The cool carbon are great pads, they have very good modulation and stop better and better when they get hot.

I also bought their entire standard brake set for my wife's 2005 325i. I replaced the rear pads (Pagid red) and rotors. I have not done the front brakes yet but I must say that the pads produce far less dust then the OEM pads and stop just as well.

Both sets of rotors are not painted like the OEM uinits so I bought some high temperature paint (black BBQ paint from my local Ace Hardware), taped off the braking surfaces and put on several coats for rust inhibiting.

BMW does not recommend replacing just the pads, and from what I have seen the pads and rotors wear equally. The rotors are not that much more money, and if you buy the full set and do the work yourself it is much less money than you would spend at the dealer or a independent shop.

rich235 guest

Thanks, I'll check the bently

Thanks, I'll check the bently when I take the wheels off and check the wear.

rich235 guest

Thanks for the info and

Thanks for the info and advice,