Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Cleaning an engine on a 2001 530

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by GSMetal, Jun 12, 2011.

GSMetal

I recall as a teenager hosing down the engine on my 72 Buick Skylark and when I tried to start it.....nothing. I forgot to cover the distributor cap.

So I've been a little gun shy on cleaning the engine bay on my 530. Not that it really needs it but it is getting sort of dusty and I want to keep it looking clean.

Are there any precautions I need to take when (lightly) hosing my engine bay down?

Hints? Tips? Suggestions?

As always thanks in advance!

John in VA

Cover the electrical bits with foil or plastic wrap. I keep my car running when doing this.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

No no no no no

These days I would eat bugs before I would hose down an engine compartment. . . even in the Bad Dog, which usually looks like a high-pressure steam cleaning is just the ticket. I am WAY too paranoid about all the electronic gremlins just waiting for a water molecule to wander by. . . .

While I am not one of those crazies who buys every Griot's detailing potion, I HAVE bought an odd assortment of brushes and Things On Sticks in order to render the roadster's underhood areas suitable for a glance at the autocross. Oh, and lately I have been poking microfiber cloths into crevices using. . . a chopstick.

Oh, no: AM I TURNING INTO ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

rdorman

I hose it down and don't cover anything. Use the minimum amount of water, Autoglym engine and machine cleaner, misc brushes, rinse. Top with Sonus Trim and Motor coat. Dust, I just take a quick detailer to it.

dms540i

I've done it with great results. I spray carwash on everything with a plastic hand sprayer and work it in with a microfiber wash mitt soaked in water. I keep a pale of water handy and keep soaking the mitt and working the wash around. I use an orange-based Simonize wash. Then rinse with a garden hose set on MIST.Then repeat if necessary in the tough to reach areas. I have found a variety of long narrow soft bristle brushes at the grocery store and home depot for the toughest to reach spots. Be careful with the water and you will be fine. After I've cleaned everywhere I spray everything down with Armor All tire cleaner, shut the hood, and then wash the rest of the car. After I'm done with the exterior I open the hood and voila! Like new.